Adding/Updating Line Clutches on Hunter Legend 37

Feb 16, 2024
Hunter Legend 37 Gig Harbor
My 1989 Hunter Legend 37 has 5 line clutches in the cockpit. They are by Rutgerson. I assume original.
I need more than the 5 lines as my boomvang has no fairlead or clutch.
1. Has anyone replaced their clutches? If so with what brand/part and what size?
2. There are no bolts/nuts visible on the headliner and I don't see any access method. Did you cut the fiberglass headliner? Or are they just screwed in from the top (scary)?
3. Does anyone want to sell an old Rutgerson clutch?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
It's usual for builders to embed an aluminum plate under the mounting pads for clutches so they are not thru bolted.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

I believe the most popular line clutch is from Spinlock, with the XTS and XAS being the most I have seen.

I think your clutches are probably through bolted. On my boat(s) I have to remove the headliner to access the bolts. On my current boat (Jeanneau) the headliner is panels that are easily removeable.

Good luck,
Barry

Feb 16, 2024
Hello,

I believe the most popular line clutch is from Spinlock, with the XTS and XAS being the most I have seen.

I think your clutches are probably through bolted. On my boat(s) I have to remove the headliner to access the bolts. On my current boat (Jeanneau) the headliner is panels that are easily removeable.

Good luck,
Barry
I will check more closely on my Hunter, but I don't see obvious way. And the clutches are over and area that is molded and uneven in the headliner making it more problematic to make a neat access. (They did put a round deck access plate inside under the winches. It's too small in diameter to reach anywhere else.)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It was typical of Hunter to in bed in the deck fiberglass threaded aluminum plates to attach hardware. This would mean you could remove the clutch by backing out the screws. If the screws come out then this is the most likely explanation of how they were attached.

If on the other hand the screws just spin in place when loosened then they have a nut (through bolted) under the headliner. Look at the edges of the headliner for possible attachment points to loosen and remove the headliner without cutting it.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I've replaced clutches on Catalina's and Beneteau's, none were thru bolted.
I do find that the spinlock clutches with a low profile handle like the XAS can be difficult/awkward to open under load, you have to use your thumb on the end to get it started.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Not thru bolted, they go into embedded metal. I added clutches on the extra space on the pad. I used Garhauer on my '99 410.
Drill and tap for new ones.

Feb 16, 2024
Not thru bolted, they go into embedded metal. I added clutches on the extra space on the pad. I used Garhauer on my '99 410.
Drill and tap for new ones.
awesome. many thanks...
Any idea how big the embedded plate is? Would hate to miss it.
I know that's like asking a blind man how big something is...

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
You can just see the raised area on mine, should be the same on your 37. garhauer clutches I added 2 on each side even.
Idk...drill a small pilot hole, the metal is down about an inch to check for it???
Take a bolt out of one of the existing clutches, see how long it is and thread, get the same ones (mine were metric about 3"long)
Good hardware store can set you up with the right drill and tap (probably the hardest part for me)
The rest was easy believe it or not.

Attachments

Feb 16, 2024
You can just see the raised area on mine, should be the same on your 37. garhauer clutches I added 2 on each side even.
Idk...drill a small pilot hole, the metal is down about an inch to check for it???
Take a bolt out of one of the existing clutches, see how long it is and thread, get the same ones (mine were metric about 3"long)
Good hardware store can set you up with the right drill and tap (probably the hardest part for me)
The rest was easy believe it or not.
Yours has a raised pad - nice indicator. I don;t think mine does. I thought about the pilot hole.
I wonder how 'standard' the hole patterns and dimensions are? For a bunch more $$ I could upgrade the original Rutgerson as I don't see any like mine for sale on eBay.

Feb 16, 2024
And another way would be to make a new metal plate to fit y9our new clutches to.
Remove teh old clutches.
Mount the new metal plate to the old clutches holes.
Drill and tap the new external metal plate for the new clutches.