Adding temperature gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JURA

Jan 24, 2012
Hughes Columbia H31 Maple Bay
Could anyone tell me how I can add a temperature gauge to my yanmar 2qm15. I would like to keep my warning light as well. Could I use the same sensor as the light or would I have to add one somewhere else?

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
May I suggest that when you have a question as the one you posted, that first you Google it. I did. Yanmar 2qm15 temperature sensor. There are may hits including older ones right here in SBO. Where to get one and how to install one. A member with a Hunter was kind enough to post it.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Or we could just answer.
After you get the sensor, there are two types BTW, a sensor for the gauge and a switch for the idiot light, you want the sensor, all you have to do is find a plug that is not being used. the are typically on the thermostat housing or nearby. They are actually iron pipe (IP) fittings. You may have to get a reducer from Home Depot but shop around there may be that there are different sizes for different models. To my knowledge they all work on the same principal (variable resistance) and have the same electrical properties so you can mix and match the gauge and sensor.
If you can get a close-up of the thermostat housing we can probably pinpoint the location.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
My boat with the 2QM20 came with VDO gauges and thus a temp gauge. But did not have a buzzer. You can see the temp sensor in the attached picture. Front of engine to right in picture, the red wire with some yellow at the sensor. It seems to me that someone posted pictures showing a 'T' connector with both sensors installed. You might find that with "Search" above. Don't limit it to the QM engines. It would work for any diesel.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That QM block does not have extra plugs as do some of the later engines.. Going to be a trick to mount the switch and sender .. There may be some senders that have a switch in 'em ..the trick would be to find one with the correct alarm switch point.. in this case , raw water cooled, ON at 60C plus/minus 2C and OFF at 56C plus/minus 2C

EDIT: After looking at a picture of the engine front, you may have space in the front cover, next to the zinc, to drill and tap a place for a very small electric sender.. it will take a little research to find a small sender..

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Repost - Digital Gauge

Just a suggestion but you can have both a meter and an alarm running off one sensor if you use a digtial meter/gauge. I installed one on my 3QM30F engine a few years ago and it works great. I got a sender from Telflex - just check the thread size. I even used the original wiring from the engine to the idiot light and just hooked them up to the digital gauge. The idiot light still works for oil pressure and the alternator. The gauge has an adjustable over temp set point for the alarm and mine is set at 190 degrees. My engine runs at about 150 at idle and 160+ at 3,000 RPM. Slight increases in operating temperature usually mean some fouling of my engine intake or raw water filter.
Go to http://www.cruzpro.com/t30.html

Status
Not open for further replies.