Adding holding tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Jarchow

The '77 O'Day 25 I sail on has a head, but no holding tank. In accordance with the rules the head is locked when the boat is in use, but I would like to see about getting a holding tank installed on the boat. Has anyone here already done this? If so, where did you have the holding tank installed, what was set up for pumping out, and how much did it cost? Thanks in advance, Brian

J

Jim Cook

Same question on an '27

Good discussion. I have the same question regarding my '73 O'Day 27. Any responses are welcome. Jim Cook "Dream Chaser"

R

Russ Marcks

Holding Tanks

I don't know the exact answer, but I do have a 25 and have wondered about that for some time. Here are a couple of suggetions. Install a portapot with the fittings that allow you to pump out from the deck. However, they're still only about 5 gallons. There is a unit available from West Marine that is a 'regular' marine head sitting atop a ten gallon holding tank. It goes for about $400. Only problem is that I think it's about an inch or two to large (depth-wise) to fit. Although the potable water tank on an outboard O'Day 25 is located under the cockpit sole, it is located under the V-Berth on those eqipped with Inboard engines. You could perhaps place it there. Access was through the top of the V-Berth (under the mattress) through an access identical to those in your settees. If your potable tank is already there, I would try to move things around a bit to fit both. I once saw 'saddle tanks' that were shaped to be placed in the area under the settees. If you can get them in there, this would be good. I thought they were from JSI sailing. But I don't remember if they were potable or waste tanks. Practical Sailor did a test on holding tanks not to long ago. Basically, stay away from flexible tanks unless you MUST use them. For hard tanks, the trick is to get them as thick as possible. Most are only about 1/4" thick. The best tank appeared to be the Sealand, but it's $125 (20 gal) through Defender. The Kracor tanks were the worst, they leaked through the fittings rather quickly. The Todd tanks were not much better, although they didn't leak, they bulged quite a bit. The reason for the thickness is twofold. First, thicker tanks prevent odors from seeping through. Second, thin tanks bulge more. This can deform the threads for the fittings allowing odors at a minimum, possible some spillage (yeeech!). The aformentioned are plastic tanks. Don't use an aluminum tank, sewage will corrode aluminum rather quickly. Stainless is suppose to be OK, but obviously very expensive. You can read the review in PS Sep 2000. If you subscribe, go to http://www.practical-sailor.com Russ Marcks

P

Paul Mieszczenski

Brian, go to the forum archives

and type in" o'day 25 head" for the search. Look down the list and find the inquery from Charlie Newman. I have a reply there about how I set up my head and tank on the same boat. It has been working just fine for 5 years. PM

D

Don Evans

There Are Only So Many Hidey Holes

To fit a reasonablely sizeable holding tank aboard the 25, requires some ingenuity. An obvious location would be in the locker behind the head. This will take up hanging locker space however. As Russ mentions, and I agree, within the oft unused confines of the V-berth bunk is a good compromise. I have fitted in that space, a 20 gallon tank. Its rectangular and the long side butts up against the inside panel of the base of the bunk. To get the tank in there requires enlarging the bunk hatch, or what I did was to cut a hole in the front of that bunk, positioned the tank, then covered the hole with a piece of teak faced plywood. The tank sits on a piece of plywood spanning the width of the bunk, and is wedged in with wood chocks, all within the confines of the bunk. To visually check capacity of the tank I have a removable teak faced window. This is attached using velcro. The hoses and vent are on the top port side of the tank, nearest the head. The tank was a stock polyE bought from a local chandlery. The hose runs are short, with the pumpout hose and deck fitting directly above the tank on the port side. The entire price was about $250. Good luck with the project. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.