Adding Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
This may be sort of a fundamental (sounds better than stupid!) question, regarding adding additional electronics to the helm. Currently, mounted in the helm, I have the electronics my boat came with, three Raymarine units mounted directly into the helm just above the engine panel. At this time, I have nothing mounted on the curved grab bar at the top of the helm.

I've been happy just using my handheld black and white Garmin GPS, as it serves my needs pretty well (with just the crummy base charts). Still, it would be nice to add a small, color chartplotter for the additional safety and convenience, and have proper charts. I'd likely be fine with something like a Garmin 431 with internal antenna for about 400 bucks. I don't operate in salt water, and I have the handheld as a backup.

I'm not going to get the fancy fiberglass pod that mounts on the top of the helm to house the GPS. I'll simply install a piece of starboard up there, and mount the GPS to it.

And now the question: What's the best way to get power to the GPS? I'm assuming I'd tap into the helm and put it into the same circuit as the other electronics. But what's the best way to physically wire it into the helm? Drill a hole into the helm? If so, what's the best way to seal around the wire going in? Is there some sort of rubber/compression grommet sort of thing that works well for this?

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
A picture would help

Easiest thing is to drill a hold in the bottom of you Navpod and run the wire out there. Just a little dab of caulk would seal it. Is that along the lines of what you were thinking? I did see a post a few months back where someone did what you were talking about and it looked pretty good. I will see if I can find them again.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
No Navpod. Mounting GPS to a piece of starboard.

"I'm not going to get the fancy fiberglass pod that mounts on the top of the helm to house the GPS. I'll simply install a piece of starboard up there, and mount the GPS to it. "

Need to know best method for going into the helm with wires.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
My own little $8.00 pod just has the wire tied to the bar then going into the back of the pedestal. That hole was drilled to accomodate the wire and rubber grommet. You can see the wire on the left side. I could have drilled into the bar and out the bottom. That would have added an additional hole in the cockpit sole. I already have wires going out the bottom of the pedestal for the wheelpilot and chartplotter. Those grommets can be found in various sizes in the parts drawers at Lowes.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Prior to replacing with a flush mount plotter in a Nav Pod, I had my small Garmin 492 mounted on a stainless Edson arm mount. The wires (power/data and antenna) were in a piece of plastic conduit zip-tied to the pedestal, then went through a hole I drilled in the back of the helm. I used a Blue Sea CableClam to seal the entrance of the wires through the hole - worked well. I'll try to find a pic to add - took several when I sold the old Garmin on eBay.

When I upgraded to the new plotter and Nav Pod, I cut a 5" square piece out of the helm with the old wire hole in the middle, and replaced it with a 6" square piece of 1/4" StarBoard with the edges rounded over, and held on by SS screws in the corners. It looks good, and I now have easy access to the backs of all of the instruments and other electrics I've added on the helm - a huge improvement when I need to get at things for maintenance, including the wheel's chain and shaft gear and bearing.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
That sounds clever Jsalley. The cable clam looks interesting, and I won't trouble you for a picture, as I was able to Google it with your information.

Particularly clever is the starboard panel on the back of the helm. I can see where it would be easier to access the helm's innards through there rather than taking off the engine panel.

Thanks to all for your input.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Found the pictures. The wedge-shaped brackets were for a drink holder that I've now replaced. The new access panel covers most of the area above the curved projection at the bottom of the helm.

Attachments

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Okay, jsalley, that looks like the ticket. A gps like yours is going to serve my needs just fine. I had planned to mount it within the confines of the top bar of the helm like you did, to protect it. Very nice of you to supply the pics.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
I mounted my Garmin 498 to the pedestal like you were planning with a piece of starboard and used Garmins mount that came with the unit and it works great. I used a cable clam type fitting like John S. did that I found at West Marine for about $8 and it has not leaked in the last 4 yrs. I ran a separate wire for power from the Fuse Panel so that no power would be in connector if the GPS was not mounted. I remove my GPS for the winter and places that I am concerned obout theft. I ran the wires down the wiring tube on the inside (Portside) of the pedestal into the aft cabin where I attached a junction bus if I needed future power source. All the Garmin wires are at the bus location for future connections. From there the power and ground wire goes to the space behind the Aft cabin to the starboard side then up thru the channel between the head liner and the hull to the fuse panel. Make sure that you use tinned wire to to cut the chance of corrosion and secure the wires. Bob C309 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.