Adding an electric fuel lift pump on older Hunter's with Yanmar diesels,

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 37.5 37.5 Norfolk
I had a similar issue with fuel starvation on a previous boat I owned. After doing all the filter changes, bleeding etc. not fixing the problem I ended up replacing all the old/original fuel hoses from fuel tank to filter to pump and problem solved. What I discovered was that the old fuel line inside wall was collapsing from the vacuum created from the fuel pump suction. Symptom was engine would run at idle with no issue. However, when throttle was increased it would stall from fuel starvation. Just sharing my past fuel experience. On my current boat, 1996 Hunter 37.5 with a 3JH2E, I built a dual fuel filter system that only requires positioning a couple of valves to switch between the unused filter and clogged filter. It allows changing filter without all the bleeding issues. it cost me about 1/3 the price of anything I found on the market that does the same thing. I included photos. I found all the parts I needed on Ebay or Amazon.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I wrote an article about fuel filtering and polishing.
The Keenan Filter system is the whole package in a compact format.

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 37.5 37.5 Norfolk
I do not remember exactly. What I remember doing is looking/taking a picture of a vacuum gauge on one of those expensive ones at the Annapolis sailboat show and used that as my guide for using a sharpie to color the gauge. Hasn't failed me yet. I bet you can go online and find a picture of one of the gauges to verify where the vacuum pressures are on a gauge. I have only changed one of the filters since installation. Having said that, it is rare for me to put even 50-100 hours on my engine in a year. When I bought my boat the engine hour meter had around 150 hours on it. When I changed the oil last I think it had around 400 hours, that's if memory serves. I do keep a log of boat use including maintenance and costs. Next time on boat I verify engine hours. My boat is a 1996 Hunter 37.5.