Adding Additional/Sub DC Panel

Sep 15, 2023
Catalina 30 Long Beach
Hi All,

New to the forum and had a question on adding an Additional/Sub DC Panel...looking to add radar, a water pump and clean up a few things (VHF, radio and Autopilot are currently wired straight to battery). My question is can I have the new panel run as a sub panel and draw off the original panel? If so, what would be the process? Or would it be better to just wire the new panel directly to one of my batteries? I've included a front pic of the original panel. Sadly the previous owner cut that circular hole for a clock, my plan is to put the panel there, but refill it to where it'd fit properly and paint that entire board white, so the panels have pop.

Thanks in advance for the help, I tried searching for a similar topic before posting this, but couldn't find anything. - SBJO - Hull #1555

IMG_4299.jpeg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the site.

My question is can I have the new panel run as a sub panel and draw off the original panel?
You would tap your (+) and (-) lines from the original panel most likely with the (+) after its main breaker. A single main breaker controls both panels. Watch your loading and breaker size on each circuit.

1694839924486.png

I don't know if you could get a similar electrical panel with desired labels from Catalina Direct but in MHO, I think it would look quite sharp.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023
Catalina 30 Long Beach
Thanks for the reply! So to be clear, just the positive of the new panel to the original panel? Would I then connect the negative to a bus bar that's connected to the negative of the battery? Appreciate the help and yeah wish i could find the same panel as that would look really nice.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You might find it easier to simply replace the old panel with a new panel with more breakers. It will be neater, easier to wire, and you'll get rid of those glass fuses.

Check out the Blue Sea website and their panel builder.

Sep 15, 2023
Catalina 30 Long Beach
Thanks dlochner - yeah i was thinking about this too, but i'm somewhat a if it ain't broke, don't fix it type person. But now you got me thinking .