Adding a topping lift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
After an interesting time single handing in 20kt winds with a reefed sail that was not cooperating I've moved the topping lift project to the head of the project list.

Currently I have a pigtail off the backstay - works fine but it does not allow the boom to swing and therefore must be manually attached/deattached whenever the halyard is released. Also due to the 'no swing' part if the boat turns while I'm forward messing with the sail it catches wind, and well, you know, things go downhill from there.

So a topping lift seems pretty easy, just run a line inside the backstay to the top of the mast. Well my masthead is currently 24 feet off the water so all I've got to go on is a photo to figue out how to attach a block to it.

It looks like maybe I could attach near the masthead/mast junction and hang a block to clear the backstay and halyards - I guess it could be a small block and 1/4" line.

Are there any pitfalls you see or has any one done this or have a factory version?

Attachments

Jul 5, 2010
Oday 22, Mariner, Challenger 15 Michigan
I just ran a 1/4 inch line from the masthead to the end of the boom, no block. Works fine.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
to figue out how to attach a block to it.
Don't put a block at the top of the mast. Deadend the topping lift there and put a block on the end of the boom. The topping lift leads forward to a cleat on the boom. If you want to adjust it from the deck, a great convenience, put a cheek block all the way forward on the boom and block on deck as required to lead it aft.

The topping lift is loose while sailing so having the lift run down the mast means it will be slapping and fouling things constantly.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
My topping lift dead ends at the mast head and it clips to the end of the boom. I made it adjustable by running the line through the eye of the clip and using a taught line hitch. I added a couple turns to the hitch and it holds the boom up (plus my 165lbs.). To raise the height of the boom I just slide the hitch up.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
After an interesting time single handing in 20kt winds with a reefed sail that was not cooperating I've moved the topping lift project to the head of the project list.

Currently I have a pigtail off the backstay - works fine but it does not allow the boom to swing and therefore must be manually attached/deattached whenever the halyard is released. Also due to the 'no swing' part if the boat turns while I'm forward messing with the sail it catches wind, and well, you know, things go downhill from there.

So a topping lift seems pretty easy, just run a line inside the backstay to the top of the mast. Well my masthead is currently 24 feet off the water so all I've got to go on is a photo to figue out how to attach a block to it.

It looks like maybe I could attach near the masthead/mast junction and hang a block to clear the backstay and halyards - I guess it could be a small block and 1/4" line.

Are there any pitfalls you see or has any one done this or have a factory version?
I kind of like this guy's idea. http://www.frankhagan.com/weekender/toplift.htm

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.

Currently I have a pigtail off the back stay - works fine but it does not allow the boom to swing and therefore must be manually attached/deattached whenever the halyard is released. Also due to the 'no swing' part if the boat turns while I'm forward messing with the sail it catches wind, and well, you know, things go downhill from there.

So a topping lift seems pretty easy, just run a line inside the back stay to the top of the mast. Well my masthead is currently 24 feet off the water so all I've got to go on is a photo to figue out how to attach a block to it.

It looks like maybe I could attach near the masthead/mast junction and hang a block to clear the back stay and halyards - I guess it could be a small block and 1/4" line.

Ken,
I like my topping lift set up because I can control the topping lift at the goose neck. My boom has internal control lines. The middle line is for the out haul, the Port line is for the Jiffy reefing, and the Starboard line if for the topping lift. My topping lift is dead ended at the mast head just inside of the back stay deadend, and the topping lift consists of a vinyl covered metal cable that comes down within about 12" from the end of the boom. It has a swadged marine eye fitting at the end with a small single sheave attached to it. The control line for the topping lift exits through a small built in sheave at the end of my boom and passes through the sheave at the end of the topping lift and deadends at the end of my boom.
You could have the same setup with the boom control line on the outside of your boom. The advantage is; you can do all your reefing right at the mast without going aft to adjust your topping lift.
The disadvantage of this set up; If the topping lift control is set with too much slack in it, it can wear on the leach of the Main and the sheave can bang against the boom while you're sailing.

You have another option. They have a boom lift thingy that mounts under the boom and it holds the boom up. A friend of mine has one on his boat and he likes it. I'm not too crazy about them myself. I can just see myself losing my balance and falling against my boom, bending that thingy out of shape.:D
Unless you have a boom crutch or a boom gallows, you're going to need to remove your main halyard from your headboard and attach it to the end of the boom whenever you leave your boat at the slip or mooring. It wouldn't be a good idea to apply too much strain to the boom lifter with your mainsheet unless you have a pig tail on your back stay. I hate those things! "Squeal like a piggy!" Remember that movie with Burt Reynolds? :D

The boom lifter would be too much of a pain for me. It's a pain setting up and breaking down each year too. I know for a fact that it's a pain because my friend Wayne does a lot of swearing each time he has to mess with his boom lifter. I suppose there are ways of getting around this problem by using push button quick pins. I really don't know.

So these are just a couple of more choices that you can ponder. All I can tell is, I love my topping lift setup because when I trailered my boat, I used to store my boom with the sail and sail cover on it, inside the cabin. After I got my mast raised, I only had to attach my topping lift to the end of the boom while it was still in the cabin and lead it out of the cabin like having a second pair of hands hold the end of the boom for me while I hooked it up to the goose neck fitting. I still do this today if I know that there is a serious storm headed this way, I'll put the boom with the sail and cover on it, inside the cabin if I'm planning on leaving my boat out on the mooring. Again. The topping lift is left connected while I disconnect the boom from the goose neck and get it into the cabin. It's like having a helper on the end of the boom, leading it into the cabin for me. It takes me longer to remove my Gennie from my furler than it does to remove my boom with the sail and cover on it.
Joe

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
Thanks, that's why I ask questions. It never occured to me to dead end the line at the masthead...brilliant. Joe, thanks for the pics, I may do the jam cleat method - that looks pretty simple and effective.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Thanks, that's why I ask questions. It never occurred to me to dead end the line at the masthead...brilliant. Joe, thanks for the pics, I may do the jam cleat method - that looks pretty simple and effective.
The Jam cleat method is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go for your type of boom. You'll need the self rescue fair lead type jam cleat as opposed to the open jam cleat.
I just found that site about a week ago. Some of these guys come up with some great ideas. This one is one of my favorites.
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/sailties/sailties.htm I've been using this one for a few years now and I like it.

Joe

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I would check to see where the hardware is hanging. One of the reasons I went with a hitch instead of a cleat was to eliminate the possibility of having it chafe the sail when the topping lift was slackened.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I would check to see where the hardware is hanging. One of the reasons I went with a hitch instead of a cleat was to eliminate the possibility of having it chafe the sail when the topping lift was slackened.
Could you post a picture of your topping lift for us? I may get a good idea from it myself.

Joe

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Here is my set up. I think it's just a taught line hitch with an extra turn below the knot and an extra half hitch above. Works fine so far; my fear was that it would slip, but even with this relatively shiny, new line it holds fast.
I plan to re-tie the hitch so that it will be closer to the snap hook for an easier reach.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Here is my set up. I think it's just a taught line hitch with an extra turn below the knot and an extra half hitch above. Works fine so far; my fear was that it would slip, but even with this relatively shiny, new line it holds fast.
I plan to re-tie the hitch so that it will be closer to the snap hook for an easier reach.
That's a good idea. It looks similar to the rolling hitch that I tie.

Feb 1, 2006
oday 22 on trailer Asheville NC
Trying your favorite site

The Jam cleat method is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go for your type of boom. You'll need the self rescue fair lead type jam cleat as opposed to the open jam cleat.
I just found that site about a week ago. Some of these guys come up with some great ideas. This one is one of my favorites.
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/sailties/sailties.htm I've been using this one for a few years now and I like it.

Joe
the favorite website wasn't complete and I didn't know how to decipher it, but it looks complete in this replyw/quote. Why is it different now? I'll try it.

David S

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
I have a thin cable running from the masthead that ends about 2 ft short of the aft end of the boom. Then I run a 1/4 inch line from the boom up thru a small block on the end of the cable and back down to the boom thru a cam cleat mounted on the end of the boom. Then thru a small eye strap mounted on the underside of the boom as a safety so the line isn't accidentally pulled out of the cam cleat.
This how I had it last year.

I'm currently upgrading with internal reefing and outhaul. Pics anon

Rich

Rich

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
the favorite website wasn't complete and I didn't know how to decipher it, but it looks complete in this replyw/quote. Why is it different now? I'll try it.

David S
I just clicked on it David and it came up OK. Maybe they were working on it at the time you went to it.
I made a slight change to the bungee cord set up. Because of the fact that bungee cord will stretch in time and sag under the boom, I left the pair of 3/16" bungees on both ends of the boom so that I can tie them to the eye straps on the boom. If the bungees sag, I just untie the ends, pull out the slack, and re tie it. The Nylon Shock Cord Clips are made by Sea Dog and fit 1/4" line with and eye diameter of 7/1". #652060-1. The hooks have a small plastic keeper which can be cut off because it's really not needed.

Rich has a topping lift similar to the one on my mast. I like this topping lift set up and I favor having the topping lift control line at the goose neck when I'm reefing the Mainsail at the mast. I think it's a very good set up but the only disadvantage is, the leech of the sail can become chafed by the sheave if the topping lift is set too slack. I still favor it over a boom kicker. If I had a boom kicker under my boom, I'd accidently trip some day and fall against my boom and squash that sucker. :D
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.