Add a Spinnaker to my Javelin 14

May 4, 2021
ODay Javelin 19 Lake Champlain
How can I rig a spinnaker on my Oday Javelin 14? It has no hardware or pole. Asymmetrical or Symmetrical?? Any help please?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Simple or elaborate?

The easiest would be to acquire a used asymmetrical sail from another boat of about your boats size or smaller. With your jib halyard raise the sail. Attache a tack sheet to the bottom of the sail and attach the tack to the bow (perhaps using a bow roller) through a block. The block can be attached using a bit of line. Now get a sheet and attach it to the clew (you jib sheet might do in a pinch. Run the sheet back to a block attached to the stern (on the lee side of the boat). Run the sheet back into the cockpit.

Now head off on a reach with the wind on your aft quarter the asymmetrical spinnaker flying out in front of the boat. Do it on mild breezes preferred.

Attachments

May 4, 2021
Thanks so much for getting back to me John. Bare with me I'm still a learning 70 year old. ;-). No need to attach a new block above the jib halyard so I can fly jib/ and spinnaker?
Also, I see an extension off the bow on some smaller boats, I can just use the jib tack?
I have an oversized spinnaker and am going to trim it down to an asymmetrical size. How do I determine what exact size?
Thanks so much for your insight,
Robert

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
Bare with me I'm still a learning 70 year old. ;-).
Well we all have to learn sometime. Better now then when your 80...:yikes:

No need to attach a new block above the jib halyard so I can fly jib/ and spinnaker?
For 70 yr old you really want to fly all the sails at once? You can add a halyard to your mast that will be intended for the spinnaker. You will likely find that having 2 sails flying ahead of the mast will be a lot of sail cloth to manage. At some point one of the sails will stop flying and you will be dragging the sail through the wind and wondering, What Now? I would start with the simple things and then consider adding to the mix as you take command of the experiences. Flying a asymmetrical spinnaker is flying a sail as big or bigger than your Main Sail. Flying Main sail and Asymmetrical will pretty much feel like a fire drill in the cockpit til you get he hang of it.

Also, I see an extension off the bow on some smaller boats, I can just use the jib tack?
The "extension" you talk about is often a pole extended infant of the bow. Known as a Bow Sprit. I designed and built one for my Montgomery 15. Here she is on my first sail with this rig.
5C2C7850-0C77-4246-8575-358E6A8E357A_4_5005_c.jpeg

Because the sail was out in front of the forestay, I could make the sail bigger, and when I gybed it would flip out in front of the boat and come around on the new tack. Again complexity can get you in trouble. Not I ran the sail off the mast head by locating a block on the mast head. I made sure that the standing rigging was beefed up to handle the additional strain. The Montgomery rigging was very strong for a boat her size.

I have an oversized spinnaker and am going to trim it down to an asymmetrical size. How do I determine what exact size?
This is a bit of an art and science thing. You will need a decent pattern. It is more than a cut, sew and stitch project. Asymmetrical means not the same on boats sides of the boat. Symmetrical would be easier to cut, sew and stitch.but then you would have a whole lot more gear and definitely more hands on board to fly the sail.

If it were me, I would start seal and build up to the task as my understanding and skills developed.

May 4, 2021
Thank you yes, I'll first fly one at a time. (walk before I run), good advise. It's only my 2nd year doing it. I hear ya about the asymmetrical sizing ...I'll osee if any info about it is online. I thought cutting and sewing a smaller sail out of a bigger one would be a fun project for my grandaughter and me. I guess not. Ha!
Thanks again,
Robert

Oct 22, 2014
I thought cutting and sewing a smaller sail out of a bigger one would be a fun project for my granddaughter and me.
I did not say it would not be a fun project.
I think it will be a project that can have consequences which might not please you when seeking sailing results.
The two of you wrapped up in thread and sail cloth could be a bonding experience. Then taking it out on the water to see what happens.
I would spend some time exploring the design of sails. You might learn some info from SailRite. They have kits with patterns and designs.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Another photo with a asymmetrical spinnaker on a Oday Javelin 14!! You need a halyard and 2 sheets about twice the length of your boat run aft to a turning blocks near the stern then to your jib winches or cleats. With 2 sheets you will be able to jibe the sail just as you would a headsail — by easing one sheet and trimming the other, as you steer the boat through the turn. You'll also need a "tack line". This can be about the same diameter as your sheet(s), and should be long enough to be led from the tack of the sail, through a block as far forward on the bow as you can get it, and then back to the cockpit somewhere, with enough purchase that you can adjust it under load. You do not need a pole. You might find this article helpful: Rigging the Asymmetrical Spinnaker (fxsails.com)

1620164204888.png
1620164737410.png

May 18, 2021
O'Day Javelin Barnegat Bay, LBI
Hi all - spotted this thread, read the rigging instructions with interest. I'm still getting used to my Javelin so I won't be playing with the spinnaker until next season but my question is about the halyard. I've got two small blocks on my mast that as far as I can tell have nothing to do with the main halyard and I've been told they're for the spinnaker - but I don't seem to see that in the rigging discussion above. Everyone's saying connect to your jib line. How would one run a separate line for the halyard? (Yes I know the advice esp. for a newbie is don't fly the jib and halyard at the same time).

Oct 22, 2014
How would one run a separate line for the halyard?
For starters you will need a block or sheave off the forward bit of the mast. Because a spinnaker is flown out in front of the boat and from the mast head ( most often) one needs to rig the halyard to be out the front of the mast. This is often accomplished by the use of a block attached to a crane ( a hoop of steel that is fixed to the mast top and stretch’s a few inches out in front of the mast).
Examples
E287BBBF-FF8E-4E74-9DF3-A8B645096405.jpeg3A6AA737-0D78-4468-809A-1F1F3EBA8637.jpeg

When not running the spinnaker you will need to secure the spinnaker halyard so that it does not conflict with the handling of your jib and jib halyard.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The picture in post #8 shows the Javelin with the spinnaker flying from upper mid mast. So I presume the Javelin is a fractional rig. Yes the spinnaker halyard has to exit the mast above the jib halyard. Running a halyard is fairly easy. If I have the rig right, you would need to install a exit box where you want the halyard to come out. A plumbers snake, or a piece of straight stainless wire will work to thread the line down from the mast exit block (This is done with the mast off the boat and on saw horses.) You will probably use an exit plate on the bottom of the mast (follow what was done with the jib). This would be high enough so you can pull down on it - but you can figure that part out. You can also run the halyard externally using a SS eye and a block. That would be much easier but it's not clean and looks sloppy.
I totally endorse cutting the old spinnaker down as a learning project with your Grand Daughter. But realize that the shape of an asymmetrical is quite sophisticated when you look at the details. Sail Rite has patterns for sails and I would at least consider cutting the old sail into panels which fit the pattern. If you don't want to go that far into the weeds a round spinnaker will do fine for fun.
You'll need something like this:
And this:

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
Looking at image, I suspect the jib halyard was used to fly the spinnaker.

I know that is what I considered when designing a spinnaker rig on my Montgomery 15. Ultimately I decided on rigging the sail at the mast head. Used a mast hound to attach a block to the mast. Attached a block and ran the halyard. Had an asymmetrical sail built. Ran it from a bow sprit. Fairly easy to set up. Great sail in light breezes.
04ED6552-2D7C-4B70-A088-0968DC1C5DAB.jpeg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think that would work well. But if the Javeling is fractional the upper mast may not be able to support a mast head spinnaker. It depends on the rig configuration. In a small boat, with relatively light forces I'm not sure it matters.

Oct 22, 2014
I agree it depends on the rig configuration. My little 15 footer was designed like a tank. I consulted with several who knew the boats build and all suggested the mast top rig would work if you sail conservatively. No 25knot breezes.

I suspect if the Javelin 14 hardware is in good shape, rigging using the jib halyard would be sensible. You don’t fly the jib and the spinnaker at the same time.

May 18, 2021
Thanks, jssailem and shemandr. fantastic advice, really appreciate it.

In the picture in reply #8 it's hard to tell if they have a separate halyard or not, but basically seems the simple choice is bring the jib down, secure it, move the jib halyard to the spinnaker, and hoist it that way. The other choice is before next season before I have the mast stepped (I keep it in the water out back not trailered), run a separate halyard for a spinnaker on the mast. Notwithstanding the neater look having it inside, I'm probably more inclined to have it outside - seems easier to do. Yes, I've got one block just above the block for the jib halyard about 1/3 of the way down the mast, and then a second about in the middle of the mast between the spreaders. So presumably if you do you run a separate halyard for the spinnaker, you keep the end that would attach to the sail clipped to the mast, and the other end... where? Do you need a new cleat on the deck by the mast?

Then in the linked rigging instructions in reply 8 it seems I need a new block by the bow to run a "tack line," which runs back to... what? Do I need a new cleat for that on the deck as well?

Ultimately I think this ends in a trip to my local sail shop to get some advice as well because I think (??), based on spreading it out on the floor, that the spinnaker included with the boat might by symmetrical - it certainly looks like there is a center line and the sail looks the same on both sides. So I'm also not sure whether the instructions in reply 8 apply to what I've got.

thanks!!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
Your image
1626450821435.jpeg

Shows a block. It appears the sheave is missing from the block. Some low cost blocks used a white plastic sheave (the wheel in the block that the line runs on). The plastic breaks down over time leaving a block with a metal bar in the middle. You can run line (or halyard wire) over the bar, but there will be a lot of friction and the line will start to break down because of the tight bend.

If the block has a screw holding the sheave pin then you might find a replacement sheave. More likely you’ll just buy a replacement block.

the second image
1626451188882.jpeg

Has two blocks. The lower one designed to work with the jib. The upper one (when repaired) will work as the spinnaker halyard.

May 18, 2021
Thanks very much jssailem. Indeed, the lower block in the second picture is where my jib halyard runs. The upper one for spinnaker. Then what's the block between the spreaders... that's a mystery. Not exactly clear from the javelin owners manual/rigging instructions.

Oct 22, 2014
Philly. That one looks to be missing the sheave as well. You could use it as the up haul to hold your spinnaker pole up. You might also add a down haul for the pole to adjust for your spinnaker.