Accessing Port water tank

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Noticing a smell but was thinking it was old plastic permeating odor from the holding tank...
After replacing the water heater I noticed I'm still getting clear water into the bilge....

Last night I discovered water leaking across the stringer underneath the plywood floor into the bilge from the port water tank Here we go again! it's time to access it and get it repaired! Unfortunately this means taking it apart putting it back together at least two or three times.
Screwdriver and vice grips were used to pry the signode bands that hold the plastic straps around the tank, if you know somebody in the shipping business maybe you can borrow the tool to reclamp them in the future I'll probably just rebend and squeeze them shut pictures tell the rest, it will be a while before this project is complete.
20211012_111726_Film3.jpg
20211012_111901_Film3.jpg
20211012_112030_Film3.jpg
20211012_112624_Film3.jpg
20211012_113621_Film3-1.jpg

Feb 26, 2009
Floor under was soaked and smelled of mildew, took a while to pump it all out, pink slime was in the bottom, there is a crack on the corner about the middle of the bottom (see the bubbles) it should be repairable, and it was repaired but I know of a shop that does plastic welding.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2009
Forgot to take photos again but the tank is fixed! I used a $28 harbor freight plastic welder it actually worked! But I also put West system plastic boat repair epoxy on top of that but don't think I really needed it.

Aug 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Austin, TX
Lucky you - you have the newer version of the settee assembly with screws on the top. Makes it easy to get to the tank. I have (had!) the older version where you have to lift up the whole settee :) I removed the port water tank and put my AC in there.

AC.jpg

Feb 26, 2009
Lucky you - you have the newer version of the settee assembly with screws on the top. Makes it easy to get to the tank. I have (had!) the older version where you have to lift up the whole settee :) I removed the port water tank and put my AC in there.

View attachment 199447
Easy?? NOT! But that is a good place for the AC but not going to move mine it's a pretty old unit still has a reciprocating compressor all the newer ones have rotary compressors far as I know.