AC Refrigerator and loading

henri

Mar 11, 2021
Hunter 45CC Antwerp
Hello,

I do not understand quite well the way AC and DC works on my Hunter 45CC.
Am I correct saying that if I switch the generator (Kohler) it will produce AC, but this AC will serve to charge the battery in 12V DC and the inverter will re-convert it to AC to use it for the refrigerator. There is a tremendous loss of power doing this. Is there a way to feed the fridge directly from the generator?
Henri

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Are the AC outlets on the boat powered by the generator? If so, you should be able to connect the fridge to one of them instead of to the inverter.

Jun 14, 2007
Hunter 45cc Florida
What year is your 45cc. Mine is 2006 and original unit ran only on battery. Replace with same unit in 2016 and if AC is available it will automatically switch to that. If AC not available it will run off 12v DC

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Is there a 12 volt breaker for the frige on the DC panel? Is there a breaker on the AC panel (120V) for the fridge? Does the fridge compressor run when you are not connected to Shore Power or the Generator? Is the fridge original from the factory?

@Slipin Away - Do you have a separate breaker on the 120V AC panel or nearby for your replacement fridge to disable this automatic switchover to 120V somehow?