About to buy hull #1139 (2006 vintage)

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Under contract, survey pending.

Catalina Capri 22, fin keel, tall rig, performance package, trail rite trailer, fully loaded with extra equipment. Well maintained as far as I can tell.

Newbie to sailing other than some Sunfish experience.

Did the ASA 101 on a Sonar.

Home port will be Mamaroneck, NY.

Attachments

Mar 11, 2014
Congrats! and Best of Luck. I'm sure you will enjoy. Fin keel should serve you well in helping her point. The Spin will be a big plus as well.

Have Fun
Drew

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Slartibartfass said:
Under contract, survey pending.
Catalina Capri 22, fin keel, tall rig, performance package, trail rite trailer, fully loaded with extra equipment. Well maintained as far as I can tell.
Newbie to sailing other than some Sunfish experience.
Did the ASA 101 on a Sonar.
Home port will be Mamaroneck, NY.
Glad you found the Capri and this site!
Looking forward to your new adventures.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Thx a lot. This might sound like a stupid question but is the association still active or is this now more or less a message board? Broken links on the website have me wondering...?

Jul 3, 2013
Not a stupid question at all....

The "Class Association" is not a living entity at this time. I have been here two years and the association has not been active in that time frame. I am not sure when it disappeared.

This Forum is where all the "CP22" action takes place. It's a great place to learn things, exchange ideas, ask questions, et cetera.

The other place you need to know about, if you have not already discovered them, is Catalina Direct. There you can can purchase a lot of CP22 parts and upgrades. http://www.catalinadirect.com

Welcome to the Forum.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I think the 2 hull designs, 3 keel configurations, and 2 mast heights automatically killed the hope of an active "association."
Well that an the cost to trailer to regional, and national regattas...

Also the general decline in sailing numbers probably doesn't help.

Sorry to be negative about that, but it's been very much across the board.

The Catalina 25/Capri 25 association was super strong many years ago, and it too has slowly waned... The Catalina 25 guys blame those who race for it, meanwhile the racers are the ONLY ones willing to drive for a National event... and those folks are getting few and far between (after all the last Capri 25 made was 1986).

I'd think that the Capri 22 association would still have a loyal fanbase, and following, since its still made!

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Thx, I got that vibe checking out the website ....

forums.sailboatowners.com looks decently active.

Maybe made no sense to have all these individual associations/forums based on boat type to begin with.... One big Catalina forum with subgroups might have been better approach.....

So is life in the digital realm....

Anyway hopefully I can breath some life into this with my questions that gonna start piling up for sure as soon as I have the boat and more so when sailing season starts again next year....

Cheers and Happy Holidays and a Medrry Christmas to everyone.

Malte

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Slartibartfass said:
Thx, I got that vibe checking out the website ....

forums.sailboatowners.com looks decently active.

Maybe made no sense to have all these individual associations/forums based on boat type to begin with.... One big Catalina forum with subgroups might have been better approach.....

So is life in the digital realm....

Anyway hopefully I can breath some life into this with my questions that gonna start piling up for sure as soon as I have the boat and more so when sailing season starts again next year....

Cheers and Happy Holidays and a Medrry Christmas to everyone.

Malte
This forum slows down a bit as we approach the holidays. Soon after that, cabin fever starts getting people to post again. This forum is good for real advice that you can trust and keeps its focus on sailing and mostly on the Capri 22.

Keep an eye out for James' posts. Being a trailer sailer in California he has more opportunities to get on the water and posts his photos and videos. We all do wonder how he manages so many different "boat ornaments". He does have a very good video describing his A-frame mast raiser.

Patrick does an excellent job running the site.

Lately some spammers have been posting strange "health products". Don't those spammers realize that we already have the best "health product"? It's called a Capri 22...

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
She looks like a beauty.

Last summer I sailed 3 times on the sound. 2X with the Vice Commodore of Horseshoe Harbor Yacht Club located in Mamaroneck We became friends when I sold him ( his club) my Capri 22 # 297 Sailvation. The club rents the Capri 22's out to members.

Another time I sailed from Stonington Ct. to Block Island with a friend on his C&C 38. Sailed right through the fleets racing Block Island Race Week.

And my biggest sail was from the Anapolis MD. to Antigua -- late October to mid November. a 48 footer.

I like my Capri 22 the best of all ;-) But sailing on the Sound is better then sailing on the Hudson River.

Hershey

Tgwazz

Dec 25, 2014
Congrats. You will love the boat. I bought hull #1162 last year and sail Lake Huron. We enjoy everything about our new boat but are looking for some ideas on stepping the mast. We are going to try using the the main sheet tackle this spring. Then maybe do some trailering....North Channel?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Hershey said:
She looks like a beauty.

Last summer I sailed 3 times on the sound. 2X with the Vice Commodore of Horseshoe Harbor Yacht Club located in Mamaroneck We became friends when I sold him ( his club) my Capri 22 # 297 Sailvation. The club rents the Capri 22's out to members.

Another time I sailed from Stonington Ct. to Block Island with a friend on his C&C 38. Sailed right through the fleets racing Block Island Race Week.

And my biggest sail was from the Anapolis MD. to Antigua -- late October to mid November. a 48 footer.

I like my Capri 22 the best of all ;-) But sailing on the Sound is better then sailing on the Hudson River.

Hershey
If you happen to have the itch to sail on Long Island Sound let me know and we go out together...

Tgwazz

Dec 25, 2014
my wife and i were laughing. We have identical boats. Even the same outboard motors. Have fun

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Tgwazz said:
my wife and i were laughing. We have identical boats. Even the same outboard motors. Have fun
I will be switching the gas outboard to an electric 4hp Torqeedo outboard. Less maintenance and enough for getting in and out the harbor.

Certainly will have fun although I'm a tad intmidated by the prospect of rigging it for the first time. Will use the marina for that for the launch But hope to do that myself going forward, assuming I get a dock space right away.. Might have to wait a year for that.

Also planning on putting a boom topping lift on it (right now uses a boom kicker), a lazy jack and I have to figure out the spinnaker rigging I am going to use.

Going to put a third wheel on the trailer and eventually get an electric winch for the hitch of my Expedition so I can get her in and out the water myself, being a fin keel makes this more complicated as I have to get the trailer submerged beyond the capability of an extension trailer tongue...

Also want to reset all the hardware with butyl tape and need to check the front if it needs some stiffening so I can use the spinnaker with no issue.

And install a solar system with 2 batteries.

Install a VHF antenna and stationary marine radio, static dissipator.

Check all the lights and switch to LED if necessary.

Potentially change the mast step to the CatalinaDirect version with additional base unless I need the old version for the Spinnaker...

Get a Mastgate.

And....., and.....

Dec 30, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 Port Dover
Ahh so you are the guy who beat me to her! No worries, Just bought #299. Can't wait for spring.
Tom

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Knot Scene said:
Ahh so you are the guy who beat me to her! No worries, Just bought #299. Can't wait for spring.
Tom
Sorry mate, after I lost out on another 2006 one I jumped right at her.....