A view west

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Standing in front of the Cape Disappointment light looking out at the Columbia River Bar.
57FE14BE-6DE2-4E2C-84AD-3D07FAF9BEF7.jpeg

A fine day for a crossing. But not today.
On the bucket list. An accomplishment of @Stu Jackson.
Coast Guard calling it a calm day. Open for all craft.
You should see the binoculars the duty person has to view the bar and traffic.
He could count the wrinkles on you worried face as you approached the bar from 5 Miles out.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Many years ago (1976ish) a group of five of us (four guys and one gal, not my boat) on a small 18 foot cuddy cabin boat fishing on the Columbia, outgoing tide and our rigging got tangled in the prop. Swells were becoming pretty good and I'm hanging over the stern unwinding the tackle from the prop. Meanwhile, we're in a strong ebbing current, heading for the jetty. About the time a CG rescue helicopter shows up, I finally untangle the mess, we start the engine and off to shore we go. It was not until I looked up after clearing the tangle that how close we were to swamping the boat. Big swells and an inexperienced crew. Sheesh, what a close call.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Was aboard a cruise ship that visited Astoria, Oregon up the Columbia River. Have never seen bar pilots air lifted by way of a helicopter; however, they do it routinely when crossing the Columbia bar. Wouldn't want to tempt fate jumping from a pilot boat onto a ship or vice versa under the conditions that they have to deal with. BTW, if you ever get a chance to visit Astoria, you won't be disappointed. Beautiful little town with friendly people. There is a museum there that traces the maritime history and the role that the pilots and Coast Guard have played in dealing with the Columbia Bar.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Made a Foss pilot boat trip over the Coos Bay bar several years ago (mid 80s) to bring a large log ship up river to one of the docks. This boat had twin supercharged sixteen cylinder diesel engines. Whooo! After latching onto the ship the pilot boat brought it through the bar and up river to the dock. I just had to go below into the engine room to hear and feel these twin engines working. Screaming they were, loud and pulsating. Music to my ears. Still hear them today.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Astoria is a fun place to visit. Had coffe at one of the several great bistro’s that share their talent. The column stands magnificent on the bluff above the city. The vista was breathtaking.