A tough H28 review, but some great information!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Boles

I chanced to find this fellow writing in florida on the topic of yacht surveys. He mostly does powerboat surveys, but appears to know a thing or two about sailing craft as well. His overall site has a tremendous amount of boat and boat construction-related info, and I recommend it to anyone seriously interested in fiberglas boats. The H28 review link is below. (PS: He did not like the boat or the construction!) I'd like to hear what others think.

A

AL S

I posted on this review a couple of months ago.

I owned an H28 for about a year and half and found most of the review to be on the mark. Most of the reviewers complaints were the same ones we had and caused us to move up to a larger boat. However, for our purposes, which is coastal cruising, we found the H28 to be a good first monohull boat. Not one we would grow into but a good learning experience.

J

Jack

And What Boats did he like?

The author of this article is a very knowlegeble surveyor but when you read all of his reviews (which he has stopped publishing new ones I believe) unless you have considerable monies to spend on a boat, you are out of luck. Remembr a Hunter 290 will cost you about 65 - 70 K equipped. I do like reading his reviews because they provide a lot of useful information. What it gets down to is you get what you pay for and Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau and yes, even McGreagor, fill a market niche. The problem that manufacturers face is putting out boats which have all the amenties perceived by the public as being necessary in a boat and still make them affordable. Then they feel compelled to keep bringing out new models to wet the appetites of those looking for a new boat. If they don't sell new boats, they are out of business. I have many complaints about my Hunter but then I look at a replacment cost and can live with the issues. Then again, my boat is 16 years old and still floats reasonably well. I think you would be suprised at the high percentage of these boats that still give their owners pleasure even even after 25 years of use which is what counts in the long run. Now an Atlantic crossing is another story.

P

Paul Aubrecht

Pascoe is a little too rigid

I have also read a great deal of Pascoe and his articles ona number of topics are well written and full of useful information.However,I think that in regards to his surveys,he is a little too extreme in his views.I think everyone who has any experience with boats knows that a Hunter is not a Cabo Rico and is not the same price either.If Hunter made the boat to Pascoe's standards,most of us couldn't afford it.I have a 93, Hunter 28,and yes some of the stuff he says is true,but after a couple of beers,the floor in the head seems normal to me!!!

D

David Foster

3 sailboats out of 50 plus reviews

He has strong, well founded opinions. The lack of sailboat reviews makes it hard to calibrate him against boats I know. David Lady Lillie

Status
Not open for further replies.