A Sobering but Not Unexpected Incident in the PNW

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I would estimate with 3.5 empty cans of beer/passenger in the boat, there is no way the person steering the boat would have seen the plane coming. Mind you, he also figured he had the right of way. Stand on or die :cuss:.

I've seen too many close calls like this involving power boats while running around the Sea Wall. They take on other boats, bridge pilings, anything that moves or doesn't move, it doesn't matter. I want to see him take on a cruise ship for his next death defying act :clap:.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I've seen too many close calls like this involving power boats while running around the Sea Wall.
I did not realize the amount of air traffic that existed in the harbour. From the local rag:
“There are between 60,000 and 70,000 seaplane takeoffs and landings each year in Vancouver Harbour and another 25,000 to 30,000 aircraft enter the airspace, according to a 2019 article on Harbour Air’s website.”

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Several interesting tid-bits were passed along from a buddy of mine who is a pilot :

- The Harbour Air pilot is blind of what is dead ahead as the de Havilland Beaver is very nose high during take off. Preparing for take off, he firstly relies on clearance from a flight tower located a short horizontal distance away, in the tallest building on the Vancouver waterfront. The tower would be looking down on the departing plane.

- Secondly, the pilot relies on another clearance from the Harbour Air office to additionally ensure his take off path is clear.

- The take off zone for Harbour Air is a restricted zone. I'll check the appropriate chart when I am next at the boat to see what the chart shows.

Apparently, the de Havilland Beaver has the loudest engine of any smaller plane of its size. As the plane was approaching the power boat, the noise would have been so loud as to be deafening if not rattling the boat operator's teeth out of his head.

Alcohol is the first thing that leaps to mind when watching the crash video. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) publishes all incidents and crashes on their web page. Something like this should come out as a preliminary report in about one month. A final report will be out in about another year which will probably be the same as the preliminary report in this case. I will paste a link here when it comes out.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
According to the recordings of the radio transmissions that I have heard, the "tower" cautioned the pilot about the boat, moving from right to left. The previous post is correct about the very limited visibility a Beaver has upon application of takeoff power, especially to the pilot's right. Sightlines get somewhat better after the plane comes up on the step, which it appears did not happen before impact.

My ratings are for land aircraft, but I wonder how much instruction on Colregs a pilot gets during his seaplane schooling. I know getting qualified for tail-draggers means a lot of attention is paid to lack of forward vis during taxi and takeoff operations.

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
I was involved with solving the seaplane problem in Victoria harbour. The end result was a dedicated landing, takeoff and taxing area that was essentially out of bounds for boats and kayakers. This was published as a pamphlet that was and is available to all water users. In the process of landing/takeoff the seaplane has priority over marine traffic. For clarification there is no reference anywhere in the collision regulations where the term "right of way" is used. You are either the burdened vessel (required to maneuver) or the privileged vessel (stand on unless the other vessel does not appear to be taking sufficient action to avoid a collision). Also the above only applies to a two vessel situation and also the give way vessel between sail boats, fishing vessels when fishing, not under command or engaged in operations that the vessel is unable to maneuver as required, ie dredging, survey. There are volumes written on these situations from court cases and legal precedents so the above is just a quick look at the situation. The regulations are available on line, at the very least have a read of them to familiarize yourself with them. I haven't covered all the information here so please don't bombard me with all sorts of exceptions or more technical issues, read and understand the rules as we all have to abide by them. End of lecture, thanks Tony.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
For clarification there is no reference anywhere in the collision regulations where the term "right of way" is used.
Surprisingly it appears that when referring to aircraft that both FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) and CRA (Canadian Aircraft Regulations) use the phrase “Right of Way”.
FAA 91.115 Right-of-way rules: Water Operations (b) Crossing
CRA 602.20 Right of Way — Aircraft Manoeuvring on Water 602.20 (1)

One of the best videos I have come across that explains the difficulty of vision by the pilot.
Vancouver Seaplane/Boat Collison