A new head.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
A restored one anyway. I've been putting this off for 10 years. Peeling paint mostly, but I'm doing some re plumbing. I like the way Alden designed this head and Molich finished it, so I'm not changing much. I think it's mostly if not all original. Towel bars, toothbrush holders, mirrors and soap dishes aside. Alot of old holes to fill in the walls and WC base from old plumbing. I've taken everything out, that was willing, to my shop. Inside the head, under the tarp, I can only spend an hour or so with a heat gun and scraper before I think of shooting myself.

That will get done soon though when time allows(not the shooting part). The fun part was taking the old counter top out. I decided to keep it as the plywood edges and underside of the hamper top were nicely finished and fitted. The original plastic laminate was lifting so I removed that with a heat gun and some prying. On went some new laminate in a nice white in a suede finish so it isn't shiny. I'll match that white, in a semi gloss, to paint the interior again.

I reused the original mahogany fiddles. All the old wood parts, door, shelves have been refinished ready to installation. The old wood have a beautiful patina under new varnish.

I had this pair of nice old nickel finish bath faucets from a job and I've been saving them for this. After installing new washers, packing and cleaning, I pressure tested them and I think they'll work fine. This old THOR sink is a gem. Anyone else have one? It was installed by Molich I assume. It's a in great shape although I had to have the tail piece re-welded onto the drain. The fact it has an overflow channel soldered on using the cut out THOR letters as the scuppers, is pretty nifty. Little expense was spared on this sink.

A bit more scraping, some sanding, filling, and more sanding and,....

Attachments

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
Tom,

Looks like a good project. I've got one very similar going on the Caravelle.

Keep up the good work.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks Jayz. I hope you post some photos.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I finally got things plumbed in there. With our new NDZ in Penobscot Bay, I decided to replumb the holding tank. Simply, head direct to holding tank. Deck plate for pump out or hand pump for outside 3 mi. I decided to nix the Y valve and just use a T. That made it easier to plumb. I ended up with just the vented loop and hoses outside of the hamper. It's a boat, afterall.

Inside the hamper, I have the hand pump that goes overboard. It all tested out well with water today. Because it's a bladder, I didn't lose much space in the hamper. We're lucky in that we have a harbor pump out boat that I can call anytime to pump out the boat, and I don't need to be onboard.

Attachments