A movie with fast Macgregors

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oreana1234

OK I know Joel S but I don't have any financial interest in Idasailor, OK?

The reason I am posting this movie is so you can see some fast Macs. Look for Keith and Lynn Sanders "Gale Bait" , one of the fastest D Macs you'll ever see. And the rest of the movie is cool, too

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk1XwXuAll0

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
Advertising in disguise?

OK I know Joel S but I don't have any financial interest in Idasailor, OK?

The reason I am posting this movie is so you can see some fast Macs. Look for Keith and Lynn Sanders "Gale Bait" , one of the fastest D Macs you'll ever see. And the rest of the movie is cool, too

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk1XwXuAll0
All I see is a picture of one Mac, not a movie of a fast Mac Oreana. And why are you always a guest?

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
Does the gas shock that raises the rudder also keep it down? If it does, how much force is required for the rudder to give if it hits something underwater - or in my case, if I occasionally forget to raise the rudder when I take the boat out of the water?

O

oreana1234

movie

All I see is a picture of one Mac, not a movie of a fast Mac Oreana. And why are you always a guest?
Well it seems that this board will never let me sign in with my original moniker: oreana123. I just added a numeral and I can post.

It occurred to me that you might like to really see the best boats in our racing fleet, and we have a regatta coming up. I will make more movies of actual Mac racers and I'll try to show the deck jewelry.

Robspan, the ida kick up rudder does hold the rudder down and up, and it is designed for fools like me who forget to retract the rudder at the ramp. I have done it, then filed down the rough edges. I also motored up a river once that had insufficient depth for my rudder, but I needed the steering so I just dragged it in the mud for about a 1/4 mile to a dock. No real damage apparent.

Mar 10, 2010
MacGregor 25 Branchburg
We gunkhole on the Chesapeake alot and our M25 keel and rudder are always hitting a mud bottom... The Ida rudder/gas shock system works very well... much improved over stock...the upgrade felt like a new boat! Also, our auto-pilot works much better also as there is virtually no flex in the rudder system anymore. Only downside is the price tag and what to do with the old rudder.

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Valdez53

All my extra gear, including rudders, goes on Ebay and is quickly sold.

Starting up a new sailing season in Idaho. First off, a sailor's tune up get together. I am instructing a class on wheel bearings. I went to a local trailer supply house, and they gave me a very damaged axle, cut in half. That half axle has a hub with a brake, and is now mounted vertically so everyone can see what we are trying to accomplish (r&r wheel bearings and races). I am demonstrating two techniques: good basic preventive maintenance with all tools, and what to do alongside the freeway with almost no tools, to get home.

John S

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
We gunkhole on the Chesapeake alot and our M25 keel and rudder are always hitting a mud bottom... The Ida rudder/gas shock system works very well... much improved over stock...the upgrade felt like a new boat! Also, our auto-pilot works much better also as there is virtually no flex in the rudder system anymore. Only downside is the price tag and what to do with the old rudder.

you WANT to keep your old rudder aboard, just in case the new one snaps!

HPDE can snap, and has on some of the early rudder designs. without a rudder, a tow in is a slow miserable ride. -trust me, keep the old rudder aboard as a backup.

-and you could also do what I did, go to Lowes and get a post hold digger handle ($10) and pre drill it for a replacement tiller, just in case yours snaps.

-again, just to be sure.

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
I broke my original Macgregor rudder. Started outboard and motored home. Wife and kids did not know. No tow available.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
I used to haul around the original rudder but if you flip the rudder and drill an "emergency" pivot hole then you're covered if it breaks. They never break below the downhaul line so the blade is recoverable.

I do need to make an emergency tiller - bet vicegrips won't do the job!

Chris

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I broke my original Macgregor rudder. Started outboard and motored home. Wife and kids did not know. No tow available.
Man! I wish you were on my boat when it broke! I could have used your skills!

Honestly, it might be a lake vs bay issue... but it was a relatively calm day, w/ 1-2' seas... -I tried to motor about 1-2 miles to calmer water, but gave up and called sea-tow. (since I have the unlimited tow option, it was free).

I know of at least one other that could manage to motor home, but it was also a lake.. (I just kept doing 360's).

and the M25 might have better luck since its easier to swing the engine tiller

-very good advise on pre-drilling the bottom of the rudder...

Status
Not open for further replies.