A Maine Nor' Easter

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I took this video a couple of years ago and just discovered it on my hard drive. I cleaned it up and posted it to Youtube. Peak sustained winds in this storm were just over 50 knots with higher gusts.. Most of the video is only in the 30's & 40's..

Please ignore my video skills..

Enjoy...

A Maine Nor' Easter (LINK)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Hey Maine...

compared to movements of some of the other boats filmed, Morgan's boat proves the case that size does matter...

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Very Nice Film Maine Sail

And good background tunes also. Some of those commercial boats are very similar in design to our Chesapeake Dead Rise work boats. We will get some stuff like that here, as I am sure you have heard how wicked and dangerous the C-peake can change into in the blink of an eyelash. Nothing nearly as bad as what you all get up there, yet bad enough to kill one pretty quick.
Like I said, nice muvee :D

Thanks for sharing with us :)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
compared to movements of some of the other boats filmed, Morgan's boat proves the case that size does matter...
But that was only about 25 knots give or take.... It got worse and Dodge's boat was taking waves over the bow later in the day.. Unfortunately you got all of my camcorders battery life, about ten minutes..! Damn batteries are $80.00 each...:cussing::cussing:

Sorry for the windshield wipers but it was blowing salt spray through the air and kept spotting up the lens every time I got out of the car..

It should be noted that not one boat, in that last segment with all the lobster boats, broke free despite 15+ footers rolling through. We actually sat there for a while and watched three HUGE waves break right on the coach roof and completely envelop the boat furthest out. She rolled about 80 degrees and popped right back up.. The commercial guys don't cut corners on moorings!!