A look Astern and Ahead

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Any cruiser who does not remember that time when they were first allowed to head off and explore unknown shores in command of a vessel and their fate probably isn’t reading this. The thrill of adventure and freedom could not have taken root so I doubt that they would still spending time on a boating forum.

Here am I in the stalwart craft that was my first command, propelled by the push pole just visible in my hand, experiencing the magic of wondering what lies ahead just around the bend.

My second command was also the first boat that I built. Although I had great adventures in it, the abysmal hydrodynamics of one gallon turpentine cans possibly lead to my interest in boat design.

I also gained considerable experience about this time as crew in larger craft.

My grandmother purchased a seven foot sailboat without a rig a few years later and I designed and built a rig for which she sewed the sail. The boat was intended to have a jib and the small and shapeless muslin sail just barely got me across the small lake and back but I was sailing.

The following summer, I designed and built a proper catboat rig for the craft which has always been known as “The Little Boat” even though we never got around to painting a name on the transom. The boat sailed well enough to take me all over the one mile long lake where we spent our summers. Here is the young naval architect heading out on sea trials:

A picture of Little Boat the last time she sailed in 1996 with me at the helm:

Following the summer of re-rigging and sailing the Little Boat, my father and I built a 10 foot “Bluebird” sailing dinghy in the garage from Popular Mechanics plans. More accurately, my father built it while I watched. Launching day:

And, sailing Ta’aroa down the lake a couple summers later:

The next most memorable event in a cruiser’s life is the first cruise that includes an overnight. During the summer of my seventeenth year, my mother sewed a boom tent for Ta’aroa. My parents took me up to Lake George, we rigged and loaded the boat, and they said, “Give us a call when you are ready to come back.”

Note that nowhere in the spread of equipment, laid out especially for the picture, is there any PFD other than the two floating cushions. A couple days later, when I was in the middle of the lake with the sail fully eased and thundering, yet still needing to hike flat out to keep the one third swamped dinghy from capsizing, this equipment deficiency wasn’t particularly on my mind. Life was simpler then. You kept the boat from capsizing or…

A couple years after that first cruise, I began to sail in friends boats with cabins and bunks. Adulthood came along and I was soon working in John W. Gilbert’s commercial design office in Boston:

This actually wasn’t my first job as a naval architect. I don’t believe any pictures of my time working for Phillip L. Rhodes in New York exist.

The box visible at the lower left corner of the following photo is an acoustical modem which talked to the time share mainframe we used for calculations. Input was by blacking in boxes on worksheet grids that matched IBM punch cards. A courier took those off to some place where women (we just knew and assumed that such a job would be done by women) punched the cards. The cards would then be brought back and we would go through them to be sure the punches matched our worksheets. The courier would return and the card decks would be taken away. A couple days later, the bound book of results would be deposited on our desks.

By the time I finished working for this company five years later, I had programmed one of the first Apple computers to do many of these calculations.

I used some of the income from my job at Gilbert’s to commission the construction of one of the only two vessels I have owned as an adult before Strider. The other was a stitch and glue plywood version of the same craft.

I installed rollers set in concrete pads under the porch of the rental house in Allston, MA and built a frame with rollers in the basement so the Herreshoff double paddle canoe could be wheeled in and out through a basement window. I would come home from work on a Friday, roll the boat out and onto a two wheeled cart and walk it down to the Charles River. I would lock the cart to a lamppost and dusk would find me camped on one of the then very wild outer harbor islands watching the sunset. Sunday, I would paddle back up the harbor, go through the lock into the river, pick up the cart and return home.

I accidentally crossed Buzzards Bay in the middle of the night in that boat after getting blown offshore and lost but that’s a story for another time.

I continued a life of boating and cruising with fifteen years taken off to raise a family and fly small airplanes. That diversion ended in 2005 with the purchase of Strider.

What lies ahead? Barring the unexpected or a change of mind that is the essence of cruising, we will be returning to Gloucester Point, Virginia where Strider is currently hauled and heading for the lowlands to experience their un-crowded beauty in winter. Look for cruising posts to continue here sometime in the first week of February.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Great photos and story. Thanks, Roger. Stay reasonably warm, the both of you.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
looking back

Thanks for the history lesson Roger. Nice to look back sometimes, gets you wondering what's ahead? I heard a "we" in the last part of your post so there will be another building and sharing your memories. Great, keep up the good song. Patrick

Nov 18, 2013
Oday 32 Ketch North Fort Myers, FL
Great read Roger. Makes me wish I had photo evidence of my past boats. No problem, the images are burned in my soul.
Thanks for letting us evesdrop.

Regards, Darrell

Dougo

Nov 22, 2010
Hunter 23 Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
Just curious Roger. What's the name of the little 1 mile lake from your boyhood?

Thanks for sharing!
Doug

Nov 12, 2011
Beneteau First 235 #299 Liberty Ed.#22 Midland, Ont.
Down memory lane :)

Great Post. Brings back great early childhood sailing memories ... my first was a model made from green hard bullrushes bent in half to form a triangulated bow and bound at the stern and cut flat ,with a flat 4" stone wedged in for a keel and a stick and bread bag and string for a sail. My first "real" sailboat was a canoe I converted with the help of a 10 gauge wire spool mounted against the front seat for a mast step. The mast and boom were fashioned from a fresh cut white ash sapling and the sail was large sheet of plastic that mattresses were shipped in. I didn't under stand the concept of lee boards and I used a paddle for a rudder. Paddle to the windward end of the lake and run back...repeat :D

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Yes Roger, that's why I like your writing. Very introspective for me.
For some reason it made me a little sad, and not sure why.
Maybe a glimpse of mortality?

And too, The Little Boat? Still around?

Nov 22, 2008
And too, The Little Boat? Still around?
Yes, she is upside down in my father's old study awaiting someone to restore her. There is rot in her centerboard trunk so it would be a pretty major reconstruction. As best I can determine, she was professionally built shortly after WWII. She may be a "Skim Air" according to pictures of a larger boat I saw that looks very similar.

The spars and rudder I built are still there but the sail my grandmother made is mildewed beyond saving except for sentiment.

I wish I had time and the facility to tackle her reconstruction. Everyone else in the family is too busy keeping up the cottages so I don't know what will become of her. The boat is a gem and would be perfect for a small child to learn how to sail in so I hope someone comes alone to save her.

Nov 22, 2008
Maybe a glimpse of mortality?
Could be. I found out a few days ago that I need to have a biopsy two days before we planned to leave for the boat. It isn't likely to be a big deal even if positive but not something I want to deal with while cruising on the boat. (Wear your sunscreen, folks.)

So, we're going to await results. That will put us within a few days of a 2-3 day meeting about the research vessel and commit me to another month's boat storage. Too late then to justify going south. Spring will be just around the corner in the bay so we're thinking of a plane and road trip to somewhere warm and relaunching the boat early in March. We'll watch spring come to the bay and then bring her north and up the Hudson as soon as the weather permits.

BobT

Sep 29, 2008
Gulfstar 37 North East River, Chesapeake Bay
Ahh plans for Spring!! That's what keeps us going when its 11° and blowing 20+ ... Good luck with the medical encounter.
See you on your way North.

Jul 8, 2012
Helms 25 indiana
great story. wish I had the chance back in the day. Im still a newby, but love it and teaching my kids the glory of it all...

kgw

Apr 25, 2011
Wharram tiki 26 los angeles, ca
Roger,
Is that Queechy Lake at the NY/MA line in the Berkshires?

Kim

Oct 1, 2012
Hunter 37 c Ventura
Thanks!

Dear Roger,

That trip through your own memory lane resonates with some of my own early memories of a simpler, happier time. Thanks for that! -Greg Olausen, Ventura, CA

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I remember tying truck tubes together and putting plywood on top. We would paddle around the lake like Tom Sawyer. That got the hook set. Then came rubber rafts. You at least had a chance to point them in the right direction. It was glorious freedom. We even had a toilet paper stash on the shore just in case. World Travelers, Hahahaha.

My pepere introduced an ODay Mariner 19' 2+2 to the mix and the sailing bug was set. It wasn't long before I was single handing with the genie, main and spinnaker. I was ten then. Many years had, have passed since I had sailed and I owed it to my pep to teach my kids what he had given to me. The love of sailing and the freedom of the water.

Now we jam three girls, wife and dog into the 1977 V25 and take off for the weekend. The girls take turns navigating and making food for the crew. We watch the shooting stars on anchor, catch the sunrises and sunsets and laugh at what ever calamity is at hand. There are usually few. Pull starting with a rope in the middle of Buzzards Bay, motoring all the way back from Cuttyhunk using my thumb on the carb as a throttle and not being able to find the boat in Westport Harbor after dingying to dinner due to forgetting to put the anchor light on. It just keeps getting better.

Scurvy

Oct 2, 2012
Sabre ex: 28 MK 1 , ex: Albin Vega 27' Falmouth, ME
A wonderful trip down memory lane Roger, one I am sure a number of us here can relate to. It has been 5.5 years now that I parted ways with my little Vega and not a day goes by that I don't think of the next craft that will take me well into my later years...not if but when. Boatless for almost 6 years and I can't tear myself away from these stories, these people or the pictures that serve as the common thread that ties us together...men, women, our boats, sea and the stories that create a life from fiberglass and wood. Thank you again for your stories! Chris