A Good Year for Astronomical Sights

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
For folks out on their boats this summer at early evening, e.g, twilight and later, there was lot to see that won’t be seen again after this year in some of our lifetimes. The Neowise Comet, visible in the western sky near dusk, the alignment (conjunctions) of Jupiter and Saturn, where both can be brightly seen in the western sky after dusk and through the early night, separated by a mere tenth of a degree (of arc). Finally, the extremely bright and vivid view of Mars in the eastern sky just after dark this past October making its closest approach of the next 15 yr. Add to those the lovely view of Venus as the Morning Star now appearing in the eastern sky before dawn. Anchored at Hen Rock at Catalina Island for several nights in October, I had a magnificent view of both the eastern and western skies where I viewed the planetary sights nightly. Gives one a perspective of the time before industrial-scale lighting. There’s still time to see.:yeah: December 21, 2020 is the closest point of alignment for Jupiter and Saturn.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
:worthless:

Just kidding... I got a good look at Mars just last week.

Jan 19, 2010
BTW: KG
Speeking of seeing interesting things...
Have you seen the new Netflix show (Queens Gambit)? :thumbup:

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I shot the Moon and Mars when they were close together. Tomorrow the Moon and Venus will be very close, and on Friday, 11/13, the Moon and Mercury will visit each other. So up early tomorrow to photo Moon and Venus. Whoot.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I believe that in ancient times these 2020 conjunctions would have been seen as omens. But that is ridiculous, right?

• Wow
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
For those of us Astronomically challenged, I have this app downloaded on my iPad for free, called Skyview Lite. You simply pick out a brightly lit planet or star, point the camera of your device toward the object and it tells you what it is. It plays some heady celestial tune in the background, and will tell you where larger satellites are including Hubble scope and the ISS. I’m not sure this link will give you more than a list of places to download. Give it try, I’ve been able to determine with NASA data when a good time is to spot the ISS at night. :beer:

Jan 19, 2010
I don’t have a Netflix subscription; so no, not yet.;)
Frankly I couldn't imagine how a show about chess could be engagine... but I couldn't stop watching ... IMHO this one show is worth the subscription fee. It is mostly set in the mid 1960s to early 1970s.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Frankly I couldn't imagine how a show about chess could be engagine... but I couldn't stop watching ... IMHO this one show is worth the subscription fee. It is mostly set in the mid 1960s to early 1970s.
At it’s most fundamental level it’s a competition; so there is excitement-the thrill of victory, etc. But it’s not much of a spectator sport in a similar way that sailboat racing is not for most people. A causal viewer does not understand the strategy or tactics of a game, etc.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have wondered if the attraction for chess in the Soviet Union, was a result of plenty of Vodka and long slow dark cold winter nights with nothing else to do.

It seemed that they were active participants and fans of the game because so many played the game. They were like golfers who could appreciate the complexity and the elegance of a good shot by a professional player.

Otherwise golf, like chess, is worse than watching paint dry.

Or like waiting out a doldrum day on a boat searching for wind.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I believe that in ancient times these 2020 conjunctions would have been seen as omens. But that is ridiculous, right?
Don't read too much into this, but only appreciate it for the humor.
DustBowl tweet_1.jpg

Considering I had my sailboat crushed by a tree two months ago, this year has got me scratching my head.