A Cautionary Tale for Dog Lovers

Jul 13, 2010
Hunter 386 Point Richmond, CA
Two weeks ago, my husband and I were walking with our beautiful retired racing greyhound, Babalu, along the marina in Alameda, CA. Our dog just loves to be with us and always enjoys an outing, tolerates sailing for that purpose and is in general, a wonderful, calm sweet pet.

We noticed a woman lightly holding the leash of her large, shaggy dog that looked part Great Dane, Airdale and a little German Shepherd thrown in. If it had been a pit bull or rotweiller, I would have walked well clear but it looked harmless enough. As we approached a 15 foot walkway, the dog bolted from its owner and launched an attack on our leashed greyhound. It took several seconds but that was enough to deliver three vicious bites that, due to the nature of her thin skin, bled profusely and proved to be life threatening.

We rushed her to the hospital and in so doing, did not get an accurate number or name for the woman and her dog. She left before the police arrived.

Our dog survived but it has been a rough two weeks. She suffered imensely, as have we. The lesson learned is to never trust another dog and if someone is not paying attention, never go into a bottleneck where your dogs are confronting each other. My neighbor carries a taser and I am looking into that, but it happened so fast I may have shocked my own dog had I one. Also, unless the dog is dying, get ID and have one of you wait until the police get there. The vet bill would buy a new set of sails, if you get my drift. I will never walk with nonshalance again. Marinas are popular places for dogs and owners. Be careful with your precious pets and if you have a dog with agressive tendencies, please muzzle.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
Thank you for your telling of this story. I feel for your Grey Hound. They are so trusting and a wonderful breed. Most people think they like to run. They are just as happy lying on a couch as they are walking on a leash. My wife and I rescued two several years ago off an interstate in Oklahoma. Now thats a story. Wonderful breed.
What you say is so true, especially in and around marinas where space is limited. I swear there are more dogs on our dock than people. What bothers me is the owners of the pets take little to no responsibility for their pets. Most allow them to run free and defecate where ever they choose. I love dogs but have a strong dislike for the owners that neglect them, and don't even talk about abusing them. I have two small dogs and I carry them while walking on the dock. Knowing the other dogs will not only molest mine, but potentially attack them. I really would not like to lift one of the offending dogs into the water in an effort to protect mine. I love the taser concept but you would have to be close to the dog for it to work. What we need is more responsible owners. The dogs are wonderful company and much loved family members. Around here we call them furbabies, they are not dogs. Don't even use that word in front of the Mrs. Our furbabies are very close to us. Support your local animal shelter. People can talk, animals can't.

Thanks again for your story. Maybe the lady will come through for you. Keep your eyes out, she might live in the area. You saved yours, maybe you can save the next one this dog goes after also.

Keep it up,
Ctskip

Jul 13, 2010
Hunter 386 Point Richmond, CA
Thanks for your post. Greyhounds are a wonderful breed and we have rescued four of them. They are not exactly the type of dog for sailing, since they are top heavy, but she does pretty well and we frequently take her on weekend trips on the boat.

With each one of our greyhounds, we did not go out in public without muzzling for several weeks until the dogs were socialized. Only after they were exposed to little dogs and showed no prey drive or aggression did we allow them to go out without a muzzle. I think of how much tragedy would be avoided if people would just muzzle their dogs if they are a "gladiator" type breed. It isn't the dog's fault, but the owners.

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
Gawd that's awful. Sorry to hear it. I've a sort of opposite problem with mine - she is sweet as can be when running free but can be very aggressive towards other dogs when leashed. She is the Dock Master at the marina and all is well until the leash comes out. At 15 lbs. couldn't hurt a fly (and never has), but it's unsettling to have her snarling. Any insights?