A/C water pump problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robin

My water pump for the cruise air ac runs really hot and doesnt completely fill the thru hull with expelled water. Thought it may be a clog in the line so i cleaned the (funky) strainer and checked the lines coming into the pump. I had a hell of a time trying to get it to expell any water and finally had to turn on the fan, disconnect the line to the pump and flush it through with water, almost like a siphon. Is it possible to have a clog past the pump toward the thru hull, or would i benefit from a new pump? As you can imagine, in New Orleans I NEED A/C. The AC works ok now despite this, bringing to mind the ancient law: "dont fix it if it ain't broke..." thanks!

G

G. Richard Stidger

If disconnected it loses it's prime

I have the same problem with my 40.5. If I disconnect the hose to the pump it will not prime itself. Apparently it is not located low enough in the keel/hull to allow the seawater to rise to the impeller and air will not bleed thru the pump on it's own. My solution is to run a hose into the pump until the pump and all of the lines after the pump are full. Then quickly connect the pump intake line to the filter that is already full of water and then turn on the power. That always works. I run into this problem every year when I disconnect to pump antifreeze into the AC system. Rich

P

Pete Burger

A/C problem

Robin, I have the same problem with both my A/C and refrigeration lines. If your filter is clean, you may have barnacles in the line after your pump. Try disconnecting the line from the pump and connect a fresh water hose to it and turn on full force. You will see quickly if you have a problem (and sometimes that flushes out the problem and you're home free). If still clogged you might CAREFULLY run diluted muriatic acid through the line and flush quickly and thorougly with fresh water. Experts will cringe at this, but for me it is the only way I can get rid of the barnacles. I tried replacing the hoses, but they are securely fastened somewhere in the bowels of the boat. Good luck.

W

Wynn Ferrel

I may have a simplier solution. Try this...

I have the same problem. As mentioned in a previous post, this problem may be caused (is caused, in my case) by the INTAKE thru-hull being placed to HIGH from the centerline of the boat --- according to the good folks at Cruise-Air. When the boat heels and the thru-hull is out of the water, water is drained from the intake line of the pump and replaced with air. You only need to "burp" the pump to get it to function. Here is how I do it ---- takes two minutes. Locate the DISCHARGE hose at the top of the pump. I have a 16,000 BTU pump. It is located on the upper right corner of the pump as it is situated in my boat. The hose, connecting the pump to the DISCHARGE thru-hull is secured to the pump with a screw type clamp. I loosen the clamp and pull the hose off of the discharge (I think it is labeled "Outflow") nipple just enough to bleed some air and water --- only for just a second --- slip it back on, tighten the clamp and "bingo," I am in business. Works every time. After sailing and as I start the A/C I reguarly check to be sure that water is flowing from the dischage thru-hull. Took me hours of trial and error to stumble onto this solution. Hope this helps, Wynn Ferrel] S/V Tranquility

Status
Not open for further replies.