A/C install on H34 Step 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John K Kudera

Step two was to build and paint a platform to hold the A/C unit under the chart table, that completed and installed, I went to work scoping out the runs of ducts. To A/C the aft cabin I chose to run the duct thru the foreward part of the "wine bottle holder", I intend to run a piece of metal duct there, cover with plywood then foam fill the area. I will run the wire for the thermostat thru there also. And attach the thermostat to the bulkhead, above the opening. At this point we will run the duct foreward in the space behind the cushions, one duct up, one duct down near the mast support bulkhead. The thru hull for the cooling water will be in the small storage locker just inside the aft cabin, low as possible, with the strainer mounted there too, and the pump on the bulkhead under the chart table.The water exit will be in this area also. Part three later, yes I am taking photos!

E

Ed Schenck

Part 3??

Hi John, would part 3 be hooking up the input water supply? My boat(H37C) has a different layout but I wonder if the bilges aren't similar? I was going to use the 3/4" thru-hull that came with the Mermaid kit but have been reconsidering. I bought a 'T' ball-valve from West Marine after checking with Mermaid. I want to use it on the engine cooling thru-hull. It's only 1/2" so I was concerned about flow rate. Mermaid said "no problem" but I still haven't done the install. The 'T' valve does not have a shut-off position so it will have to be adapted to the current ball-valve outlet. Next season I'll replace the current engine thru-hull with a 3/4" and seacock, then I'll put a 3/4" 'T' valve on top of the seacock. What are your plans from inlet to the strainer?

J

John K Kudera

Engine T fitting

Hi Ed, I was going to do the T off the engine intake for seawater, however, I normally do not close the engine thru hull, because the access is a bit difficult.I decided to add a thru hull in the bottom of stbd hanging locker. This area is small, but I think I can add the strainer here also, and mount the pump low on the bulkhead inside the new a/c cabinet.Shut off access is good. Strainer access is good too. We will see! A/C arrived today, reading the book. Will keep advised John K

J

JOE

engine "T" fitting

I'M INSTALLING A/C ON MY 35.5 USE THE SAME INTAKE AS YOUR ENGINE TWO REASONS 1) IT EXISTS ALREADY FOR USE 2) WHEN WINTERISING YOU COULD KILL TWO BIRDS AT THE SAME TIME!!!! IT WORKS. GOOD LUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.