A book on Lake Powell that is a must have if.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.......you are going there. I didn't want to mess up Blakes trip, so though I would post this seperatly.

If you are going or thinking of going to Lake Powell or even if you have been there you need to get this book if you don't have it already.

BOATER'S GUIDE to LAKE POWELL
by Michael R. Kelsey.
ISBN 0944510248

I just got it from amazon for $13.57 the 5th addition..............

http://www.amazon.com/Boaters-Guide...r_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243711387&sr=8-1#"

The book includes hiking, boating, camping, geology, and history of the area along with Anasazi ruin info.

I use to sell this book in my store along with his other area hiking books, but never really paid much attention to it as I wasn't boating then. When I sold the store inventory down I didn't keep one for myself.

Well anyway I just ordered and got it in. It is a fabulous book with his usual very detailed maps of various parts of the lakes and his hikes into the slot canyons and other places shown on the detailed maps with distances. With Kelsey if he said it took 30 minutes to get to a place it will most likely take you or I 1 1/2 hours.

The book is definitely worth it and the pictures are great. He was last there in 2007, so you have to factor in the water level then and now for some of the stuff he does.

The other thing of intrest is that besides the USGS maps of the lake the Fish-n-Map Co. maps are a good deal. A lot of detail, waterproof and there are two that cover Lake Powell, LAKE POWELL NORTH and LAKE POWELL SOUTH. Amazon has them, but I couldn't see where they broke them down into the North and South for sure, so I ordered them from Metsker Maps Of Seattle...

http://www.metskers.com/24633/239312/Recreational-Maps/Fish-n-Maps.html

........where they were less money at only $8.95 each and I wanted to get the maps for Priest Lake and Lake Pend Orielle in Idaho were we are hoping to go.

These Fish-n-Maps have details and info the USGS maps don't have. Besided Lake Powell if any of you are looking for an inland map you might check them out.

Don't wait order these maps today,

Sum

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
I also used the Kelsey book along with "Stan Jone's Boating and Exploring Map to the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area". This map also has brief descriptions of 96 side canyons. I found both of these sources to be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.