A bizzare incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roland

happened this weekend while on a weekend cruise. The alternator brackets on my Yanmar YSB-12 broke at the motor. This is most distressing since that model is no longer manufactured and I will have to find a used part, meaning the whole front engine plate where the brackets are a part of the plate, if there is no other alternative. The motor itself is fine and runs great. My question to all is, do I have an alternative? Has anyone had this happen and how was it resolved? Any ideas, short of repowering, will be most appreciated. Thanks, Roland S/V Fraulein II

D

Don Bodemann

Wish I could help

Roland, I wish I could see your problem. I am a Certified Master auto Tech...(read: car mechanic) and I always love a good chalange. I'm sure a good mechanic could figure a way to fabricate bolt on brackets to hold the altenator. If you were any where near Northern New Jersey, I'd offer to drive over and have a look. I'm only familiar with the Yanmar 2QM20, so otherwise I can't be of much help. Good luck, I'll be watching to see if anyone else can help. Don

P

Pete

a good welder!

I don't have first has knowledge of your engine but before i would replace a entire front cover I would go talk to a good welder and get his thoughts! Good Luck!

J

Jerry

Pete's right

You need to look at the situation with a 'fresh approach' (ie- how could this @#$%^ thing be mounted differently !!). Given a welder, someone who knows how to use it and some stock almost anything can be fabricated, possibly even better than the original design. Am not familiar with that engine either but there have to be other bolts, holes etc. that could be tied into. I wouldn't just jump into ripping out the old engine just yet. Good Luck Jerry

B

Ben

New stuff then forge

It will be very tough to weld something like that back together, but go look at some new parts, they may be very similar, or have a machine shop make you a new one. It may be spendy, but certainly cheaper than a repower for a alternator mount. Ben s/v Mary I

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Alternator bracket.

Most definitely I say that if at all possible you should make a new alternator mount. How hard can it be? Be sure to keep the pulley sheaves in line and don't worry about finding a belt to fit because the sizes can be infinite. Most importantly, be sure to make the finished bracket out of something sturdy. If it's just 1/8" plate I would weld a bead along the edges or at least roll them. We had a recurring problem in the Westerbeke 40-HP motors at Cherubini because upgrading to a 100-a unit put an undue strain on the bracket. We ended up having to fabricate our own. Once my uncle was coming through the Cape May Canal in the dead of night, on a falling tide, when the bracket gave way and the belt flung the alternator round the engine compartment at 900 RPM, ripping out cooling hoses (i.e., threatening a sinking) and hurting several important electrical and fuel thingys too. Once Westerbeke heard that story they realised simply fitting a larger alternator to the existing piece of tinfoil was not the answer. Don't be afraid to experiment with it. Use 1/4-inch plywood as a template to check the fit– you might even be able to turn the motor over to check with it in place. Really the thing could go anywhere it fits. Good luck. JC

Status
Not open for further replies.