A 27' in the ocean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Going across to the Channel Islands here one is out in the "ocean", so, as someone said, it's all a matter of definition. I would certainly not venture TOO far off the coast in a 27' sailboat. Been through some 11'-foot seas out of Ventura in my 27' once, and the only result was a terrified mate, and a sore tiller arm. The boat could have cared less...

S

schaefer

we're all a lttle chicken

i figure that we are in better boat from years past..yet we are all so cautious..which is what we should be..but i think..it is getting to the point where we are all afraid to take any risk at all..if we want to be sooo safe and sound..stay home..i'd like to hear from the rest of the sailing community about this...skatal

R

Rick Webb

Sure

I have sailed a 24 to Maui from Honolulu so why not? Of course I was 20 in college and our biggest concern was did we have enogh beer aboard. Not sure I would go the same way now. But it is not the relative size of the boat that is the consideration but reliability of the eqipment and preparedness of the crew. Hell, folks sailed open canoes from Hawaii to Tahiti and all over the Pacific and they did it without a GPS, VHF, Cell Phone, Sextant or even a Compass.

D

Don Bodemann

27 in the Atlantic

Last summer we took our 1980 H-27 out into the Atlantic for the first time and we were a little anxious to say the least. We only sailed 40 miles up the coast and ten days later back down. If you have never sailed in the ocean it is quite a thrill. Up and down those big swells is a blast! This is not the same as "blue water" sailing. My next hurtle will be an overnight passage. The important thing is to wait for good weather (obviously)

M

Mike

It can be fun

I have been in the ocean with my 27 a few times had know problems but one time I got in a small storm coming in the inlet at morehead nc we had about 10-12 foot seas maybe more at times and blowing about 25 or so. Well I made it but it was a little scarey maybe a lot scarey but we made it. I realy don't care to do that again. I do enjoy the ocean a lot

J

Jeff Isenhour

A perfect storm

Just finished reading a perfect storm.. Excellent book to read if you ever plan on going out in the North Atlantic. Just make sure you're aware of the weather all the time. A 27 foot sail boat doesn't give you a lot of leeway. We've all read first hand accounts of successfull voyages. You probably won't read a first hand account of an unsuccessful one.

E

Ed Schenck

Don't go there..

Stood forward deck watch in the North Atlantic. Waves washing across the deck nearly take you over the side. The boat was 1100 feet long and the deck was 70 feet above the waterline. Those experiences stick in your mind when you are sailing, even in Lake Erie.

J

Jim O'Brien

Seaworthy???

It's nice to test the seaworthyness of a ship but never forget the words on the Fisherman's Memorial at Point Judith, R.I. which state: "Oh God, your sea is so great and my boat is so small."

J

Jim McCue

little boat big sea

I was about 13 in early 60's when my family was returning from a stint in NATO. We sailed the USS William O. Darby from Bremerhaven> Southampton and headed for NYC. A hurricane was in the Atlantic and the ship ducked south towards Spain to get around it. Even then I still remember the Iron plates up on the dining deck windows and metal covers on our wardroom hatch. The ship corridor rails were laced with paper bags for sea sickness.Occassionally A door would open to the outside and it looked like absolute hell out there. Not very different from some of the scenes used in the Perfect Storm documentary on PBS. Still clearly remember it all today. We made it to NYC with some passengers pretty sick, but the USS Buckner which left Southampton a day after the Darby, sailed straight thru the storm, arrived the same day as we did. I remember seeing all the people being carried off the ship across the pier from our ship.... most in stretchers. I think the experience has tempered my sailing objectives and given me a deep respect for the power of nature. To date I've only gotten hit broadside in a narrow channel with a 50Kn front which had my 28.5 (sails tucked) on its gunnals. It came and went within about 10 minutes. A good wakeup call. J. McCue s/v "Safeharbor"

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Oceangoing Vessels; Large and Small...

Over the years I have met enough former navy and merchant marine sailors with scary tales of the effects of bad weather on their big motor vessels, often resulting in their determination to never ply the oceans in a small sailing vessel, to make me wonder how relevant such experiences really are. First of all, I completely agree with the need for humility when sailing the ocean in any kind of boat. Compared to nature's power every vessel is merely a floating nutshell and even the most accomplished sailor may sooner or later become the nut inside that shell. Secondly, I am not writing this to encourage anyone to take a 27 ft Hunter offshore. I probably would not do that myself, certainly not as a form of recreation. Within the typical size range of recreational sailing vessels that one commonly encounters offshore, let's say 25 - 60 ft, it appears true that there are distinct advantages to being on one of the larger vessels when running into bad weather. At the end of Rousmaniere's gripping account of the Fastnet storm there is a table that says it all. Just citing from memory (my copy of "Force 10..." is on Rivendel II in Townsville) I seem to recall that all the loss of life was associated with the smaller boats and that none of the larger boats was even abandoned although several capsized, or were rolled, at least once. At the same time,however, Rousmaniere's book also tells the story of the sizeable Dutch Navy vessel ("The "Overijssel) which came to the rescue and was in great peril of being rolled over in these conditions. In fact, time and again in accounts of large vessels in heavy weather, whether involved in rescue operations or simply trying to keep going, I cannot help but to be deeply impressed by the many risks these vessels face. Monster waves that would have lifted up much smaller vessels simply wash over the decks, threatening to sweep sailors and deck cargo overboard while ripping off the hatch boards that cover the holds. The violent rolling of these ships, without deep ballasted keels and often carrying huge deck loads, in cross seas threatens to dislodge or shift cargo, sometimes with disastrous results. Close to banks and reefs their great draft puts them at increased risk for running aground or tearing up the hull. Their lurching, sickening motion and pervasive smell of diesel fumes, food and vomit tends to upset all but the most hardy stomachs. Fear grips many a sailor; fueled by the harrowing tales of old salts attempting to get more respect from the young pollywogs. In short, life aboard these large motor vessels in big winds and seas is no walk in the park and the dangers to life and limb are very real. Some of us watching the documentary describing the loss of the huge MV Scott Fitzgerald (a quarter century ago on the Great Lakes in 60-70 knot winds) on TV a few days ago might have come to the conclusion that they would rather try to survive a big storm on a small, well founded sailing vessel than on a typical motor vessel, large or small. I know I did. Therefore, I say to all former or active merchant marine and navy sailors on this board: my hat's off to your accomplishments, you managed to do a tough job under sometimes extremely dangerous conditions. However, don't let it scare you away from becoming your own master of your own small sailing vessel prepared with your own sweat and blood on your own offshore passage to your own destiny. It is still a heck of a lot safer than driving your car down the highway any Godgiven working day! Flying Dutchman

S

Steve Weisbrod

it goes bad in a hurry....

when 'things' go bad... they go bad in a hurry. The people who come through those situations with minimal loss (of equipment or life) are usually the ones who've been the best prepared. Prepared in knowledge, planning and equipment. A 'seaworthy' vessel isn't a funtion of length or tonnage it's a function of design, construction and application (application of the vessel to the conditions it was designrd for). A 'seaworthy' sailor is a function of knowledge and experience. I belive it is beneficial to 'push the edge of the envelope' (with regard to your experience, not your equipment) so you're continually learning. But please, go through all the 'what ifs' beforehand and prepare yourself, prepare your crew and prepare your vessel..... and enjoy!

J

Jim Reed

Hawaiian channels

I've been running between the Hawaiian Islands in a 285 for 10 years. Typical conditions: Winds 15-25kts, seas 10-15 ft. No big deal.

D

Doug B.

My Captain's Credo

Every time I take my boat out I think of this credo. As Captain of this vessel my primary responsibility is to the safety of my crew. My second responsibility is to the safety of myself. I will subjugate all other things to these responsibilities. Doug B.

R

Rick Webb

Jim Reed, Was I Nuts?

After reading all of the posts here I was beginning to wonder if we were lolo to make that sail over to Maui. We never though that much of it except it was a pretty long (we thought) sail. It was a whole lot cheaper than the $70 round trip fare on Aloha, guess that has gone up to. I guess we all did things that we would now look upon a foolish when we were young but I never really thought of that as being that far out there.

J

Jay Hill

Nuts, Foolish? Naaaah

Just young, and you survived. When younger I would often drive automobiles well in excess of 100mph. Nuts, foolish? Naaaah, just young and unwise. (Notice I've tried not to call myself stupid.) I think each person is born with X amount of luck; the longer you live the less you have to use up. Maybe you just used up a big chunk of your luck. OTOH, if that is the case, I'm probably just about out of luck which is another reason to wonder if I really really want to cruise the world. OTOH, I think I'd rather die doing something I loved rather than wondering what it would've been like.

Status
Not open for further replies.