93 H30 rain water leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2009
2 1989 Hunter 27 Cheney KS
My boat is sitting on a trailer and every time it rains it gets a lot of water in the area under the aft berth. I cant figure out where its coming from. Its got to be somewhere near or aft of rear stateroom bulkhead Does anyone have any ideas?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
On my boat the toerails would be the most likely source. Have you tried covering the stern area, maybe from the companionway over the transom? This would tell you if the water is traveling from further forward. Two tricks I have used: 1) lightly powder the hull sides near the bottom or 2) tape some kleenex along the sides. You will see trickle marks where the water runs down the sides.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Seal up everything on the boat and hook up a shop vac in reverse. Run the shop vac exhaust hose to a temporary plate made out of cardboard and tape it in place. Run the vac and go around the boat with a spray bottle of soapy water. Anywhere bubbles develop you have a chance for leaks. Mark all the spots you find with grease pencil for easy location after your done. It's a fool proof method and one that costs practically nothing.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I had a leak back there on my 91 30T and I found the leak to be in the screws that hold down the cover to the rudder area. I filled in the screws with silcone and the leak went away.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 27_73-83 Harrington, Maine
Timley info, I pumped a couple of gallons of rain water out yesterday. Does anyone know if toe rail leaks wet the balsa core?

Status
Not open for further replies.