92 Hunter 30 - PSS Replaced

Feb 25, 2014
Hunter Hunter 30 Lake Lanier
I had to replace the PSS on my 92 Hunter30. The previous seal did not have a hose barb. My new seal does. As PYI instructs the boat owner to vent the hose 2 feet above the water line, I wanted to ask what other owners have done. Should I run the hose into the back of the engine compartment? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Run it up as high as you can. What can happen is in reverse, depending on the shape of the tunnel, the prop can build up some pressure in there, and the water goes up the hose.
Some folks run it out to a vent, but if you do this, make sure there’s no “dip” where water can collect and prevent free air passage.
Ours is run up to the top of the engine bay, then back down to the sole, so if any water does get forced up there, it doesn’t spray on to the engine.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
On my '91, I installed a Lasdrop Gen II but it has a vent also. I ran mine up the back of the engine and zip tied it to the vent on the top of exhaust water loop

Feb 25, 2014
Hunter Hunter 30 Lake Lanier
I did order a new PSS seal kit from PYI. It look a little muscle to backout the shaft from the coupler. Once this was done, the replacement was rather straight forward, following the instructions with the kit. The old model did not have the hose barb, so as suggested ran the hose up the engine compartment and back down so any water would flow to the bilge. Maybe in the fall, I will look at alternatives for a cleaner look.

At least now I have a baseline on when this was done.

Thanks for everyone's updates on this.