911 calls from a boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2004
- - New Port Richey, FL
I am going to take my cell phone with me sailing and it occurred to me that there may be a marine 911 type number. Is there? If there isn't I would think it a good idea, like 711. (seven seas) Regards Bud

A

AndyS

I don't think so, not free anyway

I believe that if you are going to use your cell phone off the coast of the U.S., then you're going to basically be asking the 911 operator to connect you with the Coast Guard or perhaps a harbormaster or port operations if you're in/near a port. Also, don't assume that a cell phone will work very far off shore, or even near shore in less-populated areas, there are no floating cell-phone towers yet. I think if you subscribe to one of those afloat emergency services/towing companies, they probably have their own toll-free numbers. Bottom line, for U.S. waters, I think good old VHF channel 16 is likely the best bet in an emergency. - Andy

M

MrBill

range varries

in my opinion..... VHF is line of sight range. meanning the top of the antenna can reach anything it can see. from the top of mast, thats about 30 miles, from a handheld, (standing in cockpit) thats about 5 miles. Cell phones varry by tower. We have used them in bimini, and abaco, but have poor luck in keys backcountry (Flamingo). (less than 5 miles from shore). I take both. with a good tower, the cel phones seem to have better reach. (in miami/ft lauderdale). in the open ocean, the VHF is better. just depends on where you sail.

Jan 8, 2004
- - New Port Richey, FL
I was recalling

sme people in a rowboat or canoe or some small boat and they swamped and called 911. They were out in the gulf. They were saved so I presumed 911 would notify or cnnect to coast guard or whatever coastal service. I was thinking sometimes there isn't time for a second step, it could mean a life. Lot of people out there without vhf radios. I sailed 6 years out on the gulf without vhf or loran or depth finder, just compass and chart, most times witout motor. Never had to call for a tug in or rescue. However lucky I was, I still had some crisis' out there. What I mean is that if I had a phone or vhf, I am not sure if I would or called or not. One time maybe. Anyway, it doesn't seem to me that it would alot of money to incorporate into the system, seeing all that is done today, its like a disneyland, Regards Bud

D

David C m26s

*cg = Goast Guard

(*cg )should get you to the Goast Guard on your cell phone (a cell signal is required) this is avaible along all US coasts and major waterways. This is something new I was told by a Power Squadron instructor that it is now in place

A

AndyS

That is good to know, David

I had never heard about *cg, David C, Thanks for posting that. - Andy

P

Phil Benge

Not All Cell Providers

The Coast Guard Boating Safety office says the *cg connection is not mandadory and is provided as a public service by some cell phone providers. Check with your provider before assuming you have this service (don't try *cg on your cell phone, the CG doesn't want unnecessary calls). The CG Boating Safety folks still say it is best to have a VHF radio with your cell phone as backup communications.

R

Ray Dobmeier

The difference between a cell phone and a VHF on a boat is that Coast Guard stations have direction finders in their communication rooms for VHF radio signals. They can get a line of position on you when you transmit and can get a fix on you if 2 Coast Guard stations are hearing you. At this time cell phone companies don't provide any way to track the phones location. If you are unable to tell them where you are using a cell phone, help may never come in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.