91' mac26s new to site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2010
macgregor 26s lake wissota
Hi
I am new to the MacOwners web page and have owned a 91 26s for three years. I truly enjoy reading the post and recomendations of all. I have done a few mods including new bimini top re-wired and interior lights and new covers on all cusions. I have many questions but will start with a few here.
1. Any idea where to get a stern rail? 2. Where should I place a bilge pump? 3. Anyone ever used composting toilets and are they as good as the sale guy tried to tell me, no smel ease of use etc.?
This will be a good start and I hope to post a picture on the we soon. Thanks Capt. Bob SugBug

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Stern Rail: bwyachts.com quoted $350 a few years ago; + freight from Washington.
Bilge pump: not a good place if you want to get all the water out with a single pump; can get most out with one under each settee; or put one on one side, then use a sponge to dry it. Sorry, have no knowledge of composting toilet; I use a porta-potty.
Welcome to the forum. -Paul

Aug 16, 2010
Thanks I will checkout bwyachts. I thought the lazurette was the place to put a pump I was really wrong. I saw the composting toilet at the Chicago sail show and it uses moss and separates the fluid from the solid waist, Im just not sure if there has been any experience with them besides the cost is about $700 or more. Maybe thats worth it as it seems to not have odors or problems with disposal.

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Slugbug, in my 26S, the lazarette bilge is not connected to the bilge on each side of the ballast tank in the main cabin. I guess that means I would actually need 3 pumps if I didn't want to have to move one around!

Composting toilet: How big is it? What capacity? How much does it weigh? How do you empty it? Be sure you have the answers to these. You have a limited space, and you don't want too much weight. -Paul

Aug 16, 2010
Thanks Paul for the feed back. What I really need to do is measure the inside dimensions of my boat. Is there any spec source that may give this? I was impressed with the concept of the compost toilet especially since there would be minimum odor and the toilet would not have to be emptied for upto 3-4 weeks. Bob capt. of slugbug

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
one problem on the 26C mac's is the head room in the 'head' unless you are < 5.5'

I would look at the MSD potties, where they can be pumped out, or the tanks removed, or the double doodie/wag bag type bags... ( turns to gel, & tossable in any trash)

-depends on how you use the boat... day/weekend or longer trips w/ no facilities.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Is this the one you are looking at?

http://www.airheadtoilet.com/

Here is one owner's report...

http://www.svsarah.com/Sarah/ewcompostingheadinstall.htm

We use Double Doodie bags (similar to Wag Bags) and like them....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/MacgregorTrips-3-Powell09/09-10-16-Powell-09.html

...but there is odor involved while using the toilet.

Let us know how you like it if you get one,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jun 30, 2007
Macgregor - Spring Creek, FL
After reading all of that, your double doodie bags are looking better than ever, Sum.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
After reading all of that, your double doodie bags are looking better than ever, Sum.
They solve a lot of problems for us. If we were day sailing or maybe overnighting and going home with the boat where we could clean the porta-pottie there we might consider that route again, but for us that isn't the case.

It has been a while since I've used the porta-pottie that is in my teardrop, but I seem to remember it smelling when using it, but probably not as bad as using the bags. Still I hated cleaning it and would sure hate to have to lug it and clean it at a marina. We will live with the smell while using it for all of the other benefits. No cleaning, able to stay out for up to a month or more without problems, taking the bags ashore is less obvious as to what you are doing vs. carrying the bottom of the porta-pottie and it is easy to dispose of the bags. The cost for us is about 60-75 cents a day and that is a non-expense considering we aren't spending any other money while out on the boat.

On the smell deal some carpet freshener helps there along with a neutral air spray while using it. With the lid on there is no smell and the full bags in the air tight container also have no smell.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Status
Not open for further replies.