9.2A Traveller Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
I have been preparing our 1979 S2 for launch. The traveller lines were in rough shape so I decided to replace them. I thought I could remove everything removable from the track, take the parts home and work on them there. When the traveller car came off the track end, all the wheels fell into their component rings and small ball bearings. Does anyone have any experience with Sheafer parts of this vintage? Can these wheels be replaced or is it time for a whole new car? The track is 3/4 inch. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Russ

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I'd suggest contacting Rigrite. They sell parts for Shaeffer travelers and are very knowledgeable. Shaeffer on a 9.2A? I just told someone it was likely Harken...hmmm...have to get to my boat an look at what I have, but it is an hour away.

Bob

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
Bob,

The end blocks are Schaefer but the car and track are Kenyon. I'm not sure if S2 mixed components back in 1979 or if these are add-ons. Anyway, Rigrite does have everything I need to put is back together.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Russ...did you end up buying a new car or just rebuilding the old?

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
Bob,

I'm going to order a wheel kit and rebuild my car. I hope it's not a total pain in the ass getting 48 small ball bearings to stay where I want them to...

bobu

Apr 24, 2009
2 9.2A Milwaukee
I had the pleasure of replacing my wheel kit last season. If you have the car loader it makes the process easier. Rigrite sells them along with the kit. I used a piece of scotch tape to hold the wheels and bearings in place and then slid them on to the loader. Once I figured it out, it wasn't difficult at all. I have had some issues with rigrite sending the wrong stuff, but as far as I can tell they are the only ones who sell it. My traveler car is a kenyon btw.

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
I got the bearings and a car loader from Rigrite. I used a little winch grease to pack the bearings. The grease held everything in place until I rolled it onto the car loader (just 6 inches of track). It was quite easy and cost about $50 total.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Russ, it must have felt good to have the job go well. There is only one thing worse than removing something and having the bearings fall out and go everywhere in my opinion, and that is having a recoil starter spring pop out. It usually takes me a half dozen attempts to get the damn thing wound back up under tension. So far I have had to rewind the recoil starter on a snowmobile (500cc) and a 9.9hp Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.