"89 H 33.5 Decent for deep ocean cruising?

Apr 20, 2023
Hunter 33 Cocoa Beach
Hello fellow sailors. I've come across a good looking and very good condition 1989 Hunter 33.5. Without having her surveyed or inspected, I want to ask about the general seaworthiness of this vessel....is she capable of deep water sea/ocean crossing, given that it's rated as a coastal cruiser?

I'd prefer a full keel which is heavier for deep ocean, with a protected rudder, as in a Cape Dory, but with this price-point, I'm leaning toward the H 33.5. How does Hunter fare on the open seas? I ask this since there seems to be a lot of negative comments about Hunter from people who have never owned them.

I've read and gone through the downloaded manual, but don't see much on this topic.

Any advice in greatly appreciated.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had a H356 which I think was a great boat for coastal cruising. The only ocean sailing I did on it was a race around Block Island - hardly bluewater. On a particularly rough leg back to to Gardiner's Bay we were sailing downwind and I felt that the back of the boat was being slapped around by the waves. This made the steering arduous and the belt driven auto pilot couldn't handle it. It was tiring and that was only about 4 hours. I was glad to get back to more sheltered waters.
Since Bluewater sailing is largely about downwind sailing, if I were choosing a boat for that I wouldn't likely go with a Hunter or other Clorox bottle design. I would look for a Sparkman Stevens type hull such as a Tartan 37. In my experience on one it can handle ocean waves with ease. A hydraulic auto pilot was not stressed.

Apr 20, 2023
Hunter 33 Cocoa Beach
Thanks shemandr.
I've read and heard much good about the Tartan 37 and seems like a great boat from what I gather. Cape Dory, also. While most of my sailing is and will be coastal, a voyage across the Atlantic to Portugal may arise in time. This H33.5 seems bit wide at the stern and was thinking the same as you described around Brock Island.

I like the Dory and Tartan with their keel and protected rudder. Now, only to find one....

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In general, most production boats, like Hunters, Catalinas, Pearsons, etc. are built for coastal cruising, although many of them have also crossed oceans.

Hull form is only one concern about an ocean capable boat, other concerns are construction quality, storage, cooking and sleeping facilities, available hand holds in the cabins, and head size (smaller is better) among others.

About a month ago, Sailing Uma had a video about their boat, a Pearson 36, and the issues they have discovered that need extensive repair before heading out to the ocean again. It gives a good over view of some of the short comings of a coastal cruiser on an ocean crossing.

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
Sure, why not, you just need it set up and have it in a condition for exactly what you want to do. My h410 is set up now, wasn't when i got it 10 years ago.
Rig, tankage, batteries/power generation, sailplans, safety equiptment, plumbing, thru hulls,electronics all come to mind + more.
It's almost 35 years old, with a complete refit and you'll be just fine.