‘88 Legend 35 bow seat

Jun 13, 2017
Hunter 35 Legend Mobile, AL
Hurricane Sally blew my bow seat away. There is only one bracket left and I can see where others were welded on and had snapped off-probably before we bought the boat, as the seat was always a bit “wiggly.” Does anyone have ideas about how to fasten on a replacement (probably marine ply?) without removing the bow rail and taking it to a welder? We saw the actual seat floating close by but couldn’t reach before it floated away. As far as I can tell, this was our only damage.
thanks,
Carmen

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Carmen. I found some step tread at Lowes. Cut it to size, stained the wood, then covered with epoxy, finally varnish to block the UV.
Turned out ok. Lasted about a year of exposure before I needed to sand and varnish again.
FA538659-8989-48AB-AFCF-DB66B13C0970.jpeg

on the stern. Best seats on the boat.

Oct 22, 2014
Good question. My rails were made with 4 welded tabs. I drilled holes through the tabs and use 4 stainless screws. Up from the bottom.

Jun 13, 2017
Good question. My rails were made with 4 welded tabs. I drilled holes through the tabs and use 4 stainless screws. Up from the bottom.
Yes, mine had the tabs. I am wondering if drilling 4 holes that close together might weaken the rail under the seat.

Oct 22, 2014
Why would the holes need to be close together? They are not big holes. 4 widely spaced would likely not impact the rails strength.

My holes are through the tabs not the rail. If you no longer have tabs has the rail already been weakened?

My seats are nice but they are likely to be lost should a big wave hit the boat from the stern and lift the seat off the rail. If that is a concern then you can look at thru bolting the seats to the rails. In my sailing with this boat, so far, I have not had a big wave hit the stern and fill the cockpit. If that happens and the board is set adrift, I will just replace. The board and the varnish is less than $25.

Jun 13, 2017
I will probably just drill through the bow rail As long as it will still be safe for someone to sit on it. I have a Bend/crease in a stanchion where the hole for the lifeline is but that hole is pretty big. That is what made me worry about the possibility of drilled holes compromising the strength of the rail where the seat mounts.

Oct 22, 2014
Pictures are a help in getting advise. I have no idea how strong the rails are or appear.

you are the best judge. I usually figure if I can stand on the rail, it will likely hold my butt.