'87 Hunter 31 Stern Cabin Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Fehm

I think i've tracked down a leak in my stern cabin to some carriage type bolts that bolt the deck to the hull along the rub rail. The last 4 or so bolts seem to be corroded and lifting away from the rail. It takes several hours of a strong rain for the leak to appear eventually leaking in close to where the port cockpit drain is visible in the stern cabin (by the wood molding). Has any one else had this issue and tried to replace some of these carraige bolts ? or any othe suggestions on where the water might be coming from ? Thanks alot

F

Frank Pratt

Some leaking

We had some leaking and were able to just tighten them a bit sound like you will need to replace some, suggest you calk them when you rebed the new bolts.

S

Scott B

Same Thing

I have a leak in EXACTLY the same place. I have been trying to find it as it is coloring the liner. I'm going to try tightening the bolts as well. IF you come up with anything else please email me at scottbe@aol.com

B

Bob

New Ones Have It Too

I've written numerous articles in the forum regarding this. We bought a new 320 last year and have the same problem. Have tried to locate the source, but will have to become a contortionist while someone douses the boat with water to see where it may be orginating from. Even e-mailed Hunter and the lovely response was "See you dealer". Been there, done that! Seems like mission impossible.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Would suggest a torque wrench!

Steve: It is not mandatory but if you have access to a torque wrench when you tighten these bolts you will probably do yourself a favor. When they put the deck on the hull there is a buytl type material (basically caulking) that they put between the sections. You want to snug up the sections but you do not want to OVER tighten them. So tighten them to the same approx. torque is preferable. This project is much easier on the H'31 than on some of the new and older boats. The bolts are all exposed.

S

Steve Fehm

here's my plan...

I'll give the bolts a rap with a hammer to loosen them up a bit and then tighten them with a wrench, last weekend I caulked around the bolt caps with clear calking (not the permanate type)to see if it was really leaking there and if that would stop it. Thanks for all the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.