'86 Companion Way Hatch

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
was looking for a good shot of the core damage on mine-- you and I are reverse my underside was full of holes -- your topside crack is unique-- but even with this example, just glass and skinned plywood.

I think your damage (starboard rail) is directly above the voids I'm showing here...

I would grind in with reckeless abandon-- fill , fair, paint -- and party.

some will prefer gelcoat-- but I"m lazy and wanted to brush it on without all the tools: came out pretty good relative to the cost of the tools

IMG_1484.JPG
File_002 (1).jpeg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Both the original and the "new design" C22 have companionway hatch cracking issues due to age.

The sliders get worn thin from friction, and can make a screeching sound, and eventually crack when they get bad.

Fixing it is the better option IMO, because you can rebuild it better then an old original one.

Lots of repair threads here about it. Though some are part of long refit threads.
My 87 had cracks on both top an bottom.
Relatively easy to remove the bottom section, repair the top and make the slider lip thicker, remove & replace the core, and bond/repair the bottom section back on.

Easy enough to make the slot in the wood rails a bit wider to accommodate a thicker fiberglass lip if needed.

Here's my hatch repair thread:

FWIW: you will run into a bunch of other common things.

For more ideas… here's the ongoing thread for refitting our '87:
Most of the stuff there is common in other threads for C22 projects.
One exception is the galley storage modification i did, which is based on another forum member's design.

@Gene Neill also has a new design, and has posted a bunch of modifications and repairs.
Can't remember who else has a "New Design" though.

If you are a OCD or like watching others suffer…. @CloudDiver has an extensive, somewhat insane rebuild thread for the original design. :)

• Helpful