83 Mac 25 Fix Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay Litsey

Just bought 83 Mac 25. Need advice on following: 1. Previous owner moved equipment around topside. Best material and source to fill in drill holes. 2. Other slight leaks topside from age - best material to plug leaks - bathtub caulk? 3. Cabin cushions - cheap source of standardized cushions or foam or zippered covers? 4. Best source for new battery/best battery 5. Texas overnights - any experience with portable air conditioning? 6. Gas tank location - used to put behind swing door under right seat on my 1980 25 - now that door doesn't swing and styrofoam is in that area. 7. Engine - have 4.5 HP Evinrude - is that enough HP or is it "CC"s that matter, and any "get ready" hints?

M

Mark

Responding to answers...

3. Cushions...$1100, ouch. I already plan on recovering myself. 15 yards of Sunbrella ($200) and some time at the sewing machine plus a few bucks in zippers, snaps, etc. 4. $70 for group 24 marine battery from Interstate 6. Ditto on location...under table when stowed (lip near aisle makes a nice containment in case of accidental spill) and back of cockpit when in use (for now...plan on making a storage cubby under stbd cockpit seat one of these days. In the vertical face and open to the cockpit, slightly angled floor (again for any spills) just to keep it out from under feet. 7. 8hp Evinrude Yachtwin (effectively the same motor) has proven that even at half throttle, the motor mount can "pop up". Have not found a great solution to this yet...even a wrench on the wing nut did not get it tight enough to prevent. As for the original questions: 2. I used "aquarium sealant" (effectively silicone) that I picked up at home depot. If it is good enough to keep the water in my tank in, then it must be good enough to keep the water around my boat out. 5. Texas overnites...have not had to do that as I live right on the lake. Then again, I am the wrong person to ask about AC...nearly August in TX (and everywhere I guess) and I have yet to turn on AC at home. -Mark '83M25 Fort Worth, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.