82'-H27 Stove was alcohol-> now Propane-> Butane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Birch

The two burner cooktop on my 82' H27 was, I think, originally alcohol (no labels or markings but probably what is now the Origo-4000CB or Kenyon 400 series). At some time prior to my acquiring the boat this stove top was converted to disposable bottled propane, as used on external rail-mount barbecues, which I believe is high-pressure! The conversion was to the actual alcohol cooktop, it still has labels on it regarding alcohol. The propane bottle should be attached to a short hose and valve in the cupboard below the cooktop. I am 99.9% sure this is not Coast Guard legal and is unsafe, I have never used it and never will. I'd like to either: a) Convert it to LPG. I can see no obvious place for an LPG vented locker on an 82' H27, all cockpit lockers lead back to the cabin. b) Convert the cooktop back to alcohol, no idea how I'd do that. c) Get a new cooktop. Alcohol or butane. Any advise or feedback on experience is appreciated especially with regard to the legality and safety of butane cooktops, that is the way I am leaning!

D

Dick Litchfield

Rebuild or New

My 81 h27 originally came with a Kenyon model 209B, that's the basic model with a cuttig board cover. The number of components that were strippd out of yours may make a rebuild too costly. The newer non preasurized alcohol units are probably the answer to your situation, however they don't come cheap either. If you are serious about the rebuild, you should contact Steve in customer service, at Kenyon Marine 1-860-664-4906 Ext 424. He should be able to help you identify which model you have and may be able to fax you an illustrated parts breakdown (IPB)so you can determine what is missing and find out what these parts will cost. I purchased some burner parts a couple years back, service mine (out of the boat at home) every year and it continues to work just fine. Happy hunting either way.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Get a new stove

Whatever you do don't use that mess! I'd be inclined to go with a new stove. I've always disliked pressurized alchool systems. The non-pressurized systems work good, but continue to have the the basic problem that alchool doesn't burn very hot. A simple propane camp stove can work well and is a lot less expensive than marine stoves. Just make sure that you do not store propane bottles where a leak could fill the boat with gas (Propane is heavier than air). Four inch thin wall PVC with end caps strapped to your stern rail works well for carrying propane safely.

J

Jim Rice

Non-pressurized Origo...

...is the way to go. Ours works great, no propane worries. As for the heat output, it boils a pot of water for coffee in the morning just as fast as the (gas) burners on our stove does at home. One gallon of denatured alcohol lasts us over a season. We cook about two meals a weekend on it, and the rubber seals you install after using it keeps the alcohol smell under control (can't smell it over the diesel anyway ];^) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.