8 knots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I believe that your speed is indeed increased when surfing down a large wave. I have witnessed my speed under GPS increase many times via the increased forward momentum of the weight of the boat, wind, & water velocity increase, albeit temporarilly. Its the same effect that happens on a surf board. Even if the displacement hull doesn't fully plane, its drag is reduced when the boat gains lift via a large wave, running downwind. There is reduced drag from the water surrounding the hull. How else do you consisntenly sail the fastest, but when on a strong downwind run. The wave is pushing the boat forward. Its proven. Most modern canoe style hulls are specifically designed to take advantage of improved downwind performance.
Haven't U ever heard of surfing down a wave? Maybe not as easy to do in a heavy C -30 but it works.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hey Guy,

I too went from a '77 Chrysler 22 to a Catalina 30 in 2009.....and never looked back. The Chrysler was a solid, rough water boat that gave me alot of enjoyment for the 20 years I sailed her. But, my '91 Catalina 30 is a pleasure to sail and live on as well. I now enjoy a completely different kind of sailing....more comfortabley, in more variable conditions. Under sail, I average 5 knots. Under power, I average 6 knots @ 2400rpm.
Like I said, the Chrysler was great. But, my Catalina is more "my speed" at this point in my life. Good Luck and Happy Sailing
So what spped do most of you all get? I'm hoping to get an average crusing speed and a fastest speed reached on both sail and motor. I am hoping to buy the catalina 30 next summer to replace my chrysler c-22 and would like to habe an idea of what to expect?

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
Funny, I almost bought a Chrysler 22 as my first boat, but held out for a Catalina 25. The Chrysler needed too much work. But I really wound up putting twice as much $$ & effort into fixing the C 25! It was worth it - I doubled my investment when I went to sell it. That would be hard to do with the Chrysler. But its not all about money, or speed. The C-30 is a much more satisfying sailing and cruising experience overall than any boat I've previously had. Cheers.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
if your'e looking for a more serious answer, maybe you should ask sarah palin since science doesn't interest you.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
I don't know what U mean about a more serious answer, I think that everyone has contributed legitimate advice in this forum. Comparing anyone to Sarah Palin is a real insult, as she is a total idiot. I believe that this thread has run on way too long, so I'm signing off on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.