8.0a - Life line stantions

Apr 14, 2014
S2 8.0a 26' Cape Coral, FL
Hi everyone. I know I've neglected to post for several months related to my restoration of my 8.0a. I have been deligently working on her since April and have come a long way but still have a long way to go.
In the last couple of weeks I've reset all the mast hold downs including the chain plates, bow pulpit, life line stantions etc. While browsing some sailboat pics online last night, I noticed that the stantions almost always would be set very close to vertical (vs canted). My stantions have been off the boat for several months now so couldn't rememer which way the canter was pointed. When i went to remount them I checked them both canted to inside and outside and thought if i set the canter to the inside there would be very little room to move (walk) between the cabin and life lines so i decided to set them with the canter facing out and just assumed thats the way they were. So last night i checked some original pics and see that they had been canted to the inside. I lost some sleep last night worrying about this because i know to remove and reset these is gonna be a giant pain since i used 3M 4200 to set. Attached are some pictures i took this morning. PLease let me know your thoughts any possible problems i could have with them cantered to the outside. It still seems to me that cantered to the outside is better due to the widended space when moving about on the deck.
Thanks!

Attachments

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Well you could have interference rafted to another boat or if you end up beside a dock piling. I would keep everything inboard of the toerail..

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Your center of gravity will be overboard before you hit a life line. It is only six. Cut through the 4200 with some 20 lb test fishing line.

Apr 14, 2014
Well you could have interference rafted to another boat or if you end up beside a dock piling. I would keep everything inboard of the toerail..
You are absolutely right. I've got 5 turned around, one to go. Thanks for the comment.
~John

Apr 14, 2014
Your center of gravity will be overboard before you hit a life line. It is only six. Cut through the 4200 with some 20 lb test fishing line.
Mark's comment was enough to convince me to turn them around. I never even considered the center of gravity. Thats way more serious. Thanks Bob!
I've been able to pop them off fairly clean without any cutting. I have one to go, before i start getting my life line cable setup.
Thanks again