'78/26' Balboa - Replacement Parts: Teak exterior

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chris

Considering purchasing this Balboa, but wondering if it is worth the $2,000 asking price...all exterior wood needs replacing, incl. tiller arm, rub rails, cockpit doors...Pella diesel inboard has 450 hours & hull and rigging appear sound. Trailer is in good condition w/new tires. Would this be a good "starter boat" for a novice sailor, etc., etc.????????????????

T

Troy

the boat

I've owned my Balboa 26 for about a year and have enjoyed the boat.. I think 2000.00 is a bargain if the diesel works, I didn't think they had a diesel, just an outboard, the trailer is worth over a thousand alone if it's in good shape. My own boat is for sale now because I've bought a bigger boat and I'll be asking closer to 6000.00 because of the trailer and a new four stroke outboard motor.. The Balboa sails well, is strong and with it's centerboard and rudder setup, you can go in skinny water and not get stuck..

J

Jim Hart

Diesel?

Diesel?, I knew the B27 was available with a Peter 1 cylinder diesel, but never heard of B26 with a diesel. Is it a Peter? Did it come with the boat or did someone add it? If not a Peter, what is it?

T

Tom Bang-Knudsen

In the market

I'm thinking of buying a 1973 26 footer. What do you know about that year? bkcalif59@gmail.com

C

Captn Scott

A good deal

The B 26 is a great starter or life long craft depending on your intentions and budget. A a trailable for poddle hopping day sailing or for extended excursions. Just be sure she's safe; water tight, check cables and all metal fittings, state of ecectrical system and engine. Do you understand how to raise and lower the mast? What condition are sails in? Do you have extras? What restoration or modifications are you willing and able to do or for to have done? Most B-26 did not have an inboard, they use a 10 HP or less OB. Some have gone as far as installing GPS, radar, autopilot, and even AC, dish TV and a MW in the galley. Take a USCG or other smallboat class. Loads of advise at this site and others on $$$ in the water projects but make is safe and have FUN!

C

Chris

'78 Balboa 27'

Recently purchased this boat and am currently restoring her. Am trying to find out more about her T2 VolvoPenta diesel engine...apparently she needs a new impeller installed...can't find local service. Need to repair hull, which has been sitting on a trailer for 10 years and has slight depressions from side supports on one side. Otherwise, she appears to be in good shape except for the esterior wood parts. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.