'76 I36

• Thread starter sophie van der voort
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sophie van der voort

I got mixed up with my friend's boat for the year, I am looking at a 1976 (not a 1969!) I36 and would love any feedback anyone might have. Thank you

G

George

feedback

can't tell you much about a I36, but I sail my I32 extensively on the Chesapeake. Her lines, sailing abilities, and interior are admired everywhere we go.

J

Jim McNeil

nice boat

The 36 is known as a quality yacht, like the 321, although they had different designers, they are somewhat similar with modern (roomy) interiors with lot's of teak. I see 36's in mid 40's, usually on W. Coast. I think a well maintained one of that vintage could be a good value.

Aug 29, 2005
- - -
20 years

I have owned my 76 Islander since 1986. Obviously, I have enjoyed the relationship. Great boat, good sailing, good lines, fun for two and fine for four or so. Am in the process of making some repairs. Anyone know best place to get replacement portlights? Need 2 in v-berth, 1 for head, and two in main cabin. Easy

Jun 25, 2004
Islander 36 San Francisco
I probably saw that boat . . .

Sophie-- I just purchased an Islander 36 a few days ago and I saw the ones for sale in Sausalito. Of course I think these boats offer a potential owner quite a bit. It is a very popular boat in San Francisco Bay Area. I have looked at Islanders that range from the mid 20's to the mid 60's and as like most older boats it all depends on then condition. Couple of things to keep in mind when you look: Problems with the mast step at the keel as well as the keep bolts. Remember these boats at 30 years old and if you want one at a bargin price be prepared to deal with some maintenance issues. In addition in SF there is a great Islander 36 Club which schedules quite a bit of activies for racers and crusers. Anyway I am very happy with mine. Good Luck. --Dan

Aug 7, 2005
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35 West End, Tortola, BVI
I just replaced all my ports....

Beckson Marine in Ct. (203-333-1412) for the opening ports, Mark Plastics in CA (951-735-7705) for the stationary windows. An interesting fact, Mark is the maker of the original fixed windows for all Islanders, as well as the rims around the lazarette cubbies and engine instruments. I will try to add a picture of our "Joey Lee'. Good Luck... Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.