'74 22ft Catalina good beginner boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

I'm looking for a good first sailboat. I want to sail with my girlfriend in various California lakes, San Francisco Bay, and maybe around the San Juan Islands in Washington. I have a chance to buy a '74 22ft Catalina w/ trailer for $2K. It's currently out-of-water. The owner says it has (boat and trailer) two new sails, new spreader brackets, new shroud line anchors, new pin and bolts in keel, new axle, new springs, new tires, new trailer hitch, new spacers on keel to prevent wobble, rebuilt keel winch, rebuilt trailer winch, and other misc parts and upgrades. The DC panel and 3 lights need replacing in the cabin. The galley needs a new water pump. The boat is the pop top version. He says he's selling it because he bought another boat and can't keep two. I would greatly appreciate any opinions or advice. Thank you all in advance! David crazydogs@earthlink.net

R

Randy

Good Choice

Hi David there are many of us in the sacramento area that own 22s...it wouldnt be a bad Idea to grab one of us to take a look at the boat...sometimes ther are unforseen problems that we might spot....like say, the keel pin area....If interested, drop me a line at windward@softcom.net Randy the price is right and the boat is fun..

C

Christine Maggard

Great Boat

I just got my older model 22 last summer. It sounds like a lot of the problem areas have been fixed already on the boat you are interested in. I just started replacing the lighting and fuse panel. Its about a $200 job, but your boat sounds like a good deal if the hull is sound. It is a very forgiving boat and a very seaworthy design. The swing keel makes it great for beginners who would otherwise spend much time a ground and helps with those quick getaways into gunk holes during bad weather. Good luck with your purchase

B

Brad

Great Place to Start!

David, I have an older C-22 ('72 SK) and have enjoyed it very much. Providing all the the necessary essentials are in good order (per Randy and Christine), I would definitely consider it...besides, the price is hard to beat for the boat and trailer combo. Brad

D

Donna

We love ours

If you decide to get it Catalina Direct puts out a videos on repair projects and how-to's. Plus you can get a lot of goodies and replacement parts through them. Ours is a '77. We've done a little but not a lot and (even though I hate the water) have enjoyed sailing fairly effortlessly. Ya don't have to worry about shallow water and we can clear the two draw bridges we have to go through to get out to the lake.

K

Keith K.

Great starter boat

I bought a '76 Cat 22 last year and sailed all summer without incident. It is my first real sailboat and it's a great starter boat. It is easy to sail and very forgiving. Go for it...I don't think you'll regret it. Drop me a line if you have any questions. Keith K. S/V Vesta keithk@mninter.net

C

Chris

go for it!

I too bought a 74 C-22 with trailor for about $1900. I had to restore the boat with the a few parts. I did put a top coat of paint and also a bottom coat because I keep her in the water. I've owned her now for 5 months and have since taken her out about six times and I can tell you she sails like dream. I've owned smaller sail boats but with my C-22 I feel I get the best of both a prestigous handling and looking cruiser along with a vessel that's small enough to have fun with. She heals nice and runs smooth and has an incredible balance to her. You won't regret owning this boat, but like anything else that you buy try to get some semblance of knowledge before making the investment. But with all the help you have on line and the very extensive following of other catalina owners, finding parts and advise is definately no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.