'73 Venture Sails Nicely...But

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vickie Esarey

Our "73 Venture is a great sailor, but we have a couple of problems we wonder how to fix. The area around the cable crank is open to the sea about a half inch all around it. When we're underway we have to keep a rag around it, which keeps it from slashing but not from depositing water in the cabin. Also, the self-bailing hole in the cockpit has the same problem. Surely later models fixed these problems, how?

D

Doug Rodrigues

What I found.

I think that you have a 22? Anyway, here goes. I used to own a '72 Venture 2-22. I had exactly the same problems. The easiest fix was to simply stuff a slice of foam rubber around the keel cable after lowering it. After installing a new cable (without the broken strands) I simply folded a long piece of scotch bright pad around the cable and stuffed that into the pipe. The scotch bright pad maintains position but the cable still slides in and out and the water is kept out. It's almost useless to install a new flexable tube, as the tube would be too short and the water still splashes in. Look behind your cable winch to that area directly beneath the cockpit floor drain. See that shrinken dried-out piece of black rubber that is supposed to seal the water out? That brass tube in the middle directs the cockpit water onto the top of the keel trunk. In whatever manner you can, pull all of that dried foam rubber out of that area between the keel trunk and the bottom of the cockpit floor. Do not remove those two screws that are on either side of that brass drain tube. Got all of that dried foam rubber out? Okay, go get a cartridge gun (a cheap one) from your local hardware store. Also get a cartridge of GE white latex sealer, that same stuff used in bathrooms as a calking. Great stuff. Flexable, easy to use and clean-up. Trim the tip of the latex cartridge and push a rod, screw driver, or whatever, down into the cartridge tip to allow it to pump. Have a roll of paper towels handy also. Now simply contort yourself under the cockpit floor and pump as much of that latex sealer around that brass drain tube as you can. Both the top and bottom of the tube under the floor has to be sealed. It is unnecessary to put any sealer on top of the cockpit floor as long as you did seal around that portion of tube as it emerged under the cockpit floor. Another leak I had was from the lower rudder fixture. Simply remove the two bolts, apply sealer between the fixture and the transom, and rebolt everything back into place. Do not allow the bolts to turn while you turn the nut or the seal will be broken. Your helper will have to maintain a fixed bolt position while you turn the nut inside the hull. The last leak problem is unfixable. The window frames leak. The leaks are from between the plexiglass and the rubber seal, not usually from around the frame to the cabin. I was unable to locate a source for new rubber seals. You're on your own for that problem. I planned to install new windows similar to the newer MacGregors that don't use a window frame. However, the boat sold prior to me doing that improvement. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.