'73 Oday 22 Mast question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
Just purchased a 1973 ODay 22. I've never owned a sailboat before so I have questions. I stepped the mast and everything looks fine, but the base of the mast has a hinge pin that fits into the mast plate (step?) and the mast then pivots to its upright position. My question is: what prevents the mast from sliding aft right off of the mast plate? I can see no way to pin it in place, and the design does not seem to lock it in place due to the weight of the mast - it seems like a whack on the front of the mast would cause it to slip backward. Am I missing something here? It does not look safe to me. see photo.

Thanks,
kpg

Attachments

Jun 12, 2010
After closer inspection it looks like there may be a ridge on the base on the plate that extends into the hollow mast center, thus preventing it from moving. I did not pay that close attention to it when the mast was off, and now the view is obscured.

Tomorrow when my son is here to help I will take the mast down and inspect the plate more closely.

kpg

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
the cape dory typhoon i used to own had a similar arrangement and i used to wonder about it too, but never had a problem. i always had the mast raked (leaning) to the stern so that probably that helps to hold it in place.

Jun 12, 2010
the cape dory typhoon i used to own had a similar arrangement and i used to wonder about it too, but never had a problem. i always had the mast raked (leaning) to the stern so that probably that helps to hold it in place.
Yes, I though some aftward rake would help, and I'm sure the system is sound, but I wanted to be sure there was not something I was missing. If that's how it was designed then I'm not too worried about it.

Tapping on the mast with the heel of my hand I could not detect any movement or even a potential for movement, so that's good. Under force of sail however, it seems something more than friction should be responsible for holding the mast in place.

I still need to inspect the mast mount. I suppose if it does not have a tang I could add one at some point.

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
i don't remember a tang on the typhoon, but i suppose it could have been part of the casting. it's been 30 + years since i owned the boat, and i still miss it : (

Status
Not open for further replies.