'72 22, Height Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kenneth Craft

Hey all, Gonna attempt a launch at the neighborhood ramp this weekend. Its a seldom used ramp with about 5ft depth at high tide. I did a test run today and was floating fine at 2 hours past low tide, so I am figuring that I may be safe if I launch and retrieve around high tide, or before low tide. My big question here deals with Power lines and bridges. I normally launch from a marina with a straight shot to the bay, with no over head lines or bridges, so I never have to worry about height clearance. However, the spot I'll be leaving from this weekend has overhead lines, a clearance of 32ft, a draw bridge, and an old rail road bridge that I've never actually seen in its closed position (e.g. its always open). The power lines concern me as I am not quite sure where my "Height" is being measured. I'm told the boat has a 28' mast, so should I be concerned with 32ft power lines? I'm assuming the mast is sitting a good 4 to 6 feet off the water, putting me between 32 and 34ft total height. If this is the case, I'm going to leave an hour and 30 minutes earlier than I originally wanted to and go back to the trusty "no overhead problems" straight shot to the bay. :) Thanks, Ken

Jul 8, 2004
S2 9.1 chelsea ny
the mast height is....

the height of the mast from the base of the mast to the top is 24' 3/4" . now add 2 ft if you have a vhf antenna and approx. 4 ft for the hieght of the boat from water level to the top of the coachroof. That will be close to 30 ft.

K

Kenneth Craft

Took her out to Edgewater

After measuring the mast, and looking at the weather, figured it would be better to drag it down the road to the old marina and launch there rather than attempting the power line route. Got everything rigged and ready to go at the marina, dumped the boat in the water at 9:30am. Went to get underway and something in the 5hp kicker burst and I lost power. Needless to say I never even got away from the dock. The marina is in a protected cove, and there wasn't much wind so I couldn't sail out, so we just pulled her and brought her back home. Thats the most of the water she's seen all year. Oh well, better luck next year, at least now the wife agreed to let me buy that 9.9 I wanted. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.