'71 Catalina 27'

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Long

I just bought a "project" boat. I was wondering if any of you would like to enlighten me as to this particular models quirks and such. Any information that you could give, such as; where to find hard to find parts, preventative maintenance, and other bugaboos that I should keep my eyes peeled for would be great. Thanks, Tom

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Advice

Congratulations! I have a '73 C27 and did some major refurbishing so here goes: * You might find some blisters on the bottom. Fix 'em if they're bigger than a quarter, leave the rest. * Don't worry too much about gelcoat crazing (spider cracks) - unless you want a MAJOR project, it's better to leave 'em (trust me on this one). A good hull buffing & painting the non-skid will brighten up the topsides ten fold. * Upgrade the chainplates using the U-bolt upgrade kit found at CatalinaDirect.com (a site where you can find various Catalina parts). It's $70 for all 4 lowers & needs to be done (trust me on this one). * If you plan to do any overnight cruising, upgrade your pressurized alcohol stove to (my preference) non-pressurized alcohol (Origo). You will be more likely to use it if you don't constantly have to fight it & switching to propane, etc. is too costly for that vintage boat. * This site is a great resource for any questions you might have. We also have a "chandlery" where you can find cool stuff for the boat (I always drool over the companionway doors). Don't hesitate to come ask us when you run into something. * Above all, have fun! LaDonna

T

Tom Long

Thanks

I appreciate your comments. I have been doing a lot of research on the internet, and boy am I glad I bought a Catalina -- talk about support. I already know about the chain plate issue and it looks like the previous owner found out about it the hard way. They did a fair job of repairing one on the port side that must have torn out. They also refitted that one and the remaining one with a large stainless steel plate. Yes, there is a lot of Crazing. What is the best attack at this? I was thinking about sanding, applying fairing compound, and several coats of primer before the final paint. Other than that, and of course, the bottom painting, the boat seems sound. Thanks again, Tom

R

Richard

another place to find information

There is a website www.sailnet.com with various email lists you can join. There is an all catalina list, and atomic 4 list (not sure if you have one or an outboard), and a catalina 27 list. I used to own a 27 in alameda and now have a 30. You are going to have fun on the bay! Richard

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Attacking crazing

My boatwright sources tell me the only way to truly "fix" those crazing cracks is to drill each one out, fill it, sand it & then paint. Believe me, you'll wish you'd left it alone! Just painting over them will allow the cracks to pop open again, then you're back in the same fix. I've heard folks talking about some kind of crack filler/primer stuff but don't know a thing about it. And even if you go to all the trouble to fix all those cracks, more will pop up. We're talking about OLD gelcoat here. My suggestion would be to get some stuff called FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) if your gelcoat is ugly. It's oxalic acid in gel form & will take out stains pretty well. You can also check out the Island Girl products (there's a gelcoat forum here - so ask away!) cuz I've heard nothing but praise for them. But a good cleaning & wax/buff should get everything shiny with a fraction of the work. Just wax once a year or so & the cracks should get too bad. LaDonna

B

Bob Camarena

Spreader Bases

If your spreader bases are cast aluminum, they should be replaced with the newer, stainless steel type (order from Catalina Direct). There is a wiring harness upgrade for inboards available from Seward Products. Garhauer is a good source for hardware. The Catalina 30 International Association has links for equipment and OEM sources. The C-27 Association probably has similar links, but they would be the same. Have fun, it's a great boat.

L

Larry Samson

Congradulations

I also own a 1971 C27 #37 Great boat. You'll have a lot of fun with it. Best resource for me was Catalina parts book from Catalina. I believe you can get it from they're web site......Have fun.

M

Melody Miller

About Those Spider Cracks . .

Hi LaDonna: You wrote: "Don't worry too much about gelcoat crazing (spider cracks) - unless you want a MAJOR project, it's better to leave 'em (trust me on this one). A good hull buffing and painting the non-skid will brighten up the topsides ten fold. " I am considering having my '76 painted (non-skid and cockpit) if it's not too expensive. With regard to the spider cracks. Do you know of anything that will "fill" them and would last 2-3 years? Thanks Melody

J

Joe

Important websites for catalina 27 owners...

Congrats. We are a helpful bunch aren't we? Besides reading these forums and exploring this site, you may find tons more informaiton in the following places, especially the first one. Unofficial Catalina 27 website has all the technical information and specs, plus a copy of the owner's manual, available for download. I higly recommend that you bookmark this site and then explore it completely http://www.geocities.com/catalina+27/ The "Official" International Catalina 27 Association website is a good source of info. http://www.paw.com/sail/catalina27/ Catalina yachts has great customer support. Go there and look at their pretty new boats. http://www.catalina.net/ Catalina customer service is very helpful, they may send you a new owner's package for Cat 27 if you ask nicely. e-mail address - catalina@catalinayachts.com Finally, CatalinaDirect has some of the retrofits and toys you may need. http://www.catalinadirect.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.