7 Foot Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

I am look at a new Beneteau 36.7. Many versions are offered and this one has the racing version with a 7' draft. I am sure that this is great for racing and all, but when I am done with the boat will a vessel with this deep keep be difficult to sell. Of course the sales rep a Beneteau suggested that this would be an advantage because those who would purchase this boat would demand only this type of keel. Comments

S

Steve

Do you need a racing boat? A little performance tends to cost a lot . . .

S

Steve H.

Draft

You will be hard pressed to find a buyer. Drawing so much water will limit marina access, in many areas, to high tide only. Even the ICW would be a major problem at low tide. Think twice before you write the check. do really need a recer?

Jan 18, 2004
Beneteau 321 Houston
Depends on Your Plans!

Bob, A 7' draft will severely limit your cruising activity. If you are on the west coast, you had better buy a good inflatable, a big outboard and a windlass 'cause you are going to be anchoring out a lot. Here in Texas, 7' would eliminate about 75% of the marinas if you were looking for a slip. Logic would suggest that many potential buyers would pass it up. Remember, most people are interested in mult-purpose vessel. Few have any interest in competitively racing their boats.

D

Dan Knox

I would love a 7' Draft in San Francisco Bay

Here in San Francisco there is a growing class of 36.7's. And the longer draft is a real plus. Most marina's here are OK with 7' but the conditions here are not like most other places. I think it is important to purchase your boat based on how you will use it and what you will like. No one should ever buy a boat "so that they will not loose money" . . . we all loose money. A boat should never be purchased as an investment, unless you are looking for a sure way to loose money. Buy the boat to enjoy it and you will be happy. Other wise you are going to second guess yourself forever. And you have have some great times racing a 36.7; its not cheap but then again it there are limits on how much you can spend; this class is not going to let you break the bank. --Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.