598 33' Cutter/sloop '49 re-build.

Jan 22, 2009
Ahoy! (anybody know where that originates?) I appologize for any naivete` ahead of time, please. I've signed up here as the new owner of a 33' wooden cutter built around '49 as a one off raised deck. Is there a contingent of carvel plankers among you? I'm a curious novice with big dreams. one of the first steps was to order the plans from Niels. I'd like to hear from anyone who's added cabin height to an existing yacht. From what I can see the original port-lights have been replaced with the most appealing pieces of plexi-glass! So I'm on watch for 5x7 bronze fixed and operable. I'll be ordering deadwood timbers as soon as I know what the plans called for, and would like to hear about repairing rusted stem area's vs removing and replacing. Long term commitment. Thank you. "Astarte`"

May 21, 2008
Alden Challenger Portland
Hi Lincolns!st,So is Astarte an Alden,This is your next door neigbour in Yankee Boatyard,I shall be there again 1st April so we can catch up on a few things,I am staying for three months this time as I also have lots of work to do on my boat.
Regards
Philip Dann (Black Star)

Jan 22, 2009
Dan - Sorry to have missed you before you left! I enjoyed visiting and your goal advice. After we stacked the new deadwood I was able to re-set the jack-stands and make the rotted area available for removal. Since I noticed that the keel bolts 'may' be of steel, I am concerned about their integraty knowing the hull had filled with rain at one point. That will happen when I can see the condition of them in the deadwood.
I hope all is well, I met a fellow Englishman who commented that England has been enjoying a warmer than usual Summer? Take care,

Lincoln