50 vs 70hp on 26M

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

SAIL BOAT

Glad I have one of the older Mac/Venture SAIL BOATS. Personally I don't even like having a motor on the boat. I only use it when there is no wind and no more time left to get back to work. So if it wasn't for work, I wouldn't even have a motor. I sail to get away from it all, the busy world, with its arguing and people in a hurry all the time. I sail to enjoy the weather, waves, and beautiful sunsets. I sail to be one with nature, not to go fast. I sail because anyone can power up to a dock. Try sailing up to and docking under sail. Try comming off that dock under sail. See if you really are a sailer. Do you really know your boat? Do you go out no matter what the weater? Do you enjoy being out there nomatter what the weather? I do. I enjoy the challanges and being able to put my skills to the test. I feel so much pride when I sail into dock better than most can power in. I know what my boat can and can't do, and enjoy every limitation she has. I know every inch of my boat. I rebuilt her myself. If fast is your thing, why did you get a sail boat? Why not one of those twin 454's cigarret boat? I'm sure it's faster than any mac, no matter what motor you hang off the back. Opps, now some one will want to put a jet engine back there just to argue with me, sorry.

J

JonBill

Dual Purpose Boat Yes(but no snowboarders allowed)

Hey Sailboat, I know where you're coming from. I understand why you feel that way. I used to feel exactly the same as you do 30 some odd years ago. Used to sail into the slip under any conditions back then and didn't have any use for anybody that didn't do the same. But that was then and this is now. You're right about one thing though - now I take the time to enjoy my boat no matter what the weather is like. If there is no wind I can fire up the engine (90HP) and go fishing off the jettys or up in mud flats and enjoy that M boat with all 90HP of her. If there's lots of wind I can just sail the day away and enjoy the John Masefield left in me. If the wind changes on me and I have to be somewhere to keep an appointment, I can just lower the sails and motor home in no time. So no matter what I enjoy my boat. Yep now boating has finnaly arrived and there is no need to have a half-breed boat anymore (which is a boat that only does half what it should). Why? Because Roger fixed all that with the X and M boat. They aren't for everyone but neither is snowboarding. I hate them snowboarders. I only do the traditional down hill and not with parabolic skiis either. I use the old time straight skiis and sniker at all those who can't ski correctly and have to use the skiis with the training wheels on - which are the parabalics. They are for the lazy people who can't keep either their balance or never learned the correct style and form. But now we can have a full-breed boat (that is the X or M that can do either one - sail or motor); if we want one that is and if we don't then enjoy only doing half what you other wise could if you had a full-breed. Which is to enjoy boating anyway we want it (as full-breeders) on any day we want it - and it's pure pleasure. Now whether it's pure sailing or not I'll leave that debate up to the other chat board mongers. However there are those who don't think owning any Mac qualifies as pure sailing. Try debating that with the boys on the All Sailors board. They'l eat you alive. So you turn your nose up at my M boat and they turn their noses up at both of us; and me I only turn my nose up at snowboarders. There ought to be a law against those inconsiderate little bas....s. Kindest Regards, JonBill

Oct 26, 2004
Macgregor 26X Denton Co. TX USA
The wind is free

Different strokes for different folks... live and let live... just be skillful and safe for yourself, courteous to others on the water, and keep the water and air clean please.

P

pohick bay

Yamaha 60HP

I went with a Yamaha 60 4 cycle, it's quiet, clean, reliable, and about the same weight as the 50hp so you get a little more power without adding a lot of weight.

K

kenglass2000@yahoo.com

Clean Outboards

We have a 26X and use it for crusing at slow speed (6 to 8 mph) and camping. I wonder how the 50 E-tec does. We are looking for long range 300 miles without fuel. What kind of milage do you get at say 7 miles per hour? I have a friend that is got 13 1/2 per gal with a 50 hp suziki 4 stroke and I would be dissapointed with anything less. The suzuki 4 stroke is also very quite. Ken

Jan 28, 2006
- - Evergreen
Depends what you're doing

I have a 40hp Tohatsu and it's fine. It weighs 160 lbs or so. If you don't want to water ski I'd say go with the 50 HP. It's cheaper and lighter. The extra weight does make a difference and it's in a bad spot; at the very back. That puts the transom lower and does make a difference.

K

kenglass2000@yahoo.com

E-tec

John, Please contact me about your e-tec 50. I am trying to make up my mind about one. I would like to know how yours is working. What I can expect from it on my 26 X. Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.