50 HP Nissan Dies on me when Idling back to Dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2011
Macgregor 26 Port Moody
Hi,
I have 1998 Macgregor 26 which was tuned up last year. However since i'm new in the sailing scene (2 Years), my biggest fear/challenge is when i'm idleing back toward the dock to load it on trailer. Since i have to park it on the dock and go grab the trailer, it could be a challenge to steer and park it in between other parked boats on the dock.
The engine dies on me. It works perfectly any other times.
Could it be the fuel Hose "O" rings or Carb or Spark plugs? I got an estimate but it's around $400. Is it something i can do myself?
Where can i find "O" rings for it?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Most likely it is your idle jets are plugged. Carburetor needs to be cleaned.

Jun 29, 2011
Macgregor 26 Port Moody
Most likely it is your idle jets are plugged. Carburetor needs to be cleaned.
Thanks for the comment. I just saw very fine cracks on the "O" rings and thought it has something to do with that.

do i go to Nissan dealership or any boat store for "O" rings?

I put fuel stablizer in the boat's tanks and ran it for a good 5-10 minutes before winterizing it in the back yard. wouldn't that be good enough for cleaining the jets???
I'll look at the Carburator the first sunny/warm day North Pacific coast would grant us.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Small air leak will do that or maybe you just need to turn up the idle a little.

May 17, 2011
Macgregor 26M UAE
I have a similar problem with my 60 hours BF50 Honda. Specially when docking in and out. the engine dies when I go from forward to reverse and vs. It gets scary when I back up into the fairway and as I put it in forward it dies with boat still going backward toward other boats... I told Honda about the problem and they said it just needs a tune up... The rest of the time she runs fine...

Jun 30, 2007
Macgregor - Spring Creek, FL
Thanks for the comment. I just saw very fine cracks on the "O" rings and thought it has something to do with that.

do i go to Nissan dealership or any boat store for "O" rings?

I put fuel stablizer in the boat's tanks and ran it for a good 5-10 minutes before winterizing it in the back yard. wouldn't that be good enough for cleaining the jets???
I'll look at the Carburator the first sunny/warm day North Pacific coast would grant us.
If you are using last year's fuel even with the stabilizer, I would think your fuel is old. I winterized my fuel in a Tohatsu 4 stroke and the motor struggled to keep running at idle the first time I took it out in the spring. I poured the fuel into my tractor and refueled the outboard with new gas. No more problems. The current 10% alcohol fuel seems to go bad, seperate and collect moisture after six to eight months. I read recently that 15% alcohol in gas will soon be the standard. Not a promising prospect for boaters or folks like me that drive old cars. You might try running fresh gas in your motor to see if it makes a difference.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
If you are using last year's fuel even with the stabilizer, I would think your fuel is old. I winterized my fuel in a Tohatsu 4 stroke and the motor struggled to keep running at idle the first time I took it out in the spring. I poured the fuel into my tractor and refueled the outboard with new gas. No more problems. The current 10% alcohol fuel seems to go bad, seperate and collect moisture after six to eight months. I read recently that 15% alcohol in gas will soon be the standard. Not a promising prospect for boaters or folks like me that drive old cars. You might try running fresh gas in your motor to see if it makes a difference.
As long as you are doing that, you might want to pick up AV100LL gas at you local airport.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I'm with beamreach, fuel is too old... 6months is my max WITH stabil.

can you try it with a portable tank and see if that changes anything?

Jun 29, 2011
Macgregor 26 Port Moody
I'm with beamreach, fuel is too old... 6months is my max WITH stabil.

can you try it with a portable tank and see if that changes anything?

Thank you all for your input.

I have to stress that this problem occurs ONLY when i'm coasting back towards the dock. Basically at low revs.
I run the engine b4 launching it when it's on a trailer. It works fine. one launched is can pretty much rev it up just enough to avoid the problem and to take off safely from the dock.
However it's when i'm coming back to the dock that i have to watch my speed and coast it in. It doesn't happen during shifting from forward to reverse. It happens as it's just coasting towards the dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.