5 Days in Canada

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Greetings,

We've escaped the shackles of labor and are heading for Victoria early next week. We're heading to the Gulf Islands after that and we're looking for highlights to explore. It will be our first time there. Good food, scenic hikes and the occasional art gallery are desirable in no particular order. Marinas neither required nor desired.

What would you suggest for an itenerary?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Ganges on Salt Island has a Saturday farmers marked. It big and the town is a nice walk around one. Anchor outside the marina and dinghy into next to the fuel dock. We enjoyed it last year. The smaller anchorages will probably be really tight. Either plan on arriving before 2pm or plan on anchoring in larger areas. Plan on no water fill or pump outs at the docks. I’d take a couple water jugs.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Montigue harbor is busy but a lot of room. We got water at the campground there . This year we are going to do the pub bus.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Salt Springs Marina is nice. Laundry, Pub at the head of the dock. Easy walk into town. Nice Hardware store. Smalll shops and eateries. Had a great breakfast back before Covid.

Otter Bay is a cute little stop point and marina on North Pender Island.
1687667281136.jpeg 1687667463120.jpeg
Saturna Islalnd on July 1 (Canada Day) has a great Lamb BBQ (article about the BBQ at the Waggoner's guide website). 1200 or so folk show up by boat and ferry to celebrate. They drive a water taxi gathering boaters to the BBQ. Nice anchorage in Winter Cove.
Here is a view of the dock and pub. Good food and friendly folk.
1687667624013.jpeg 1687667658031.jpeg

Annette Inlet is a lovely place and a great anchorage. On the North West end of Prevost Island.
1687667203657.jpeg

Port Browning is a nice stop. Anchorage or marina. Swimming Showers, great restaurant Lovely sunrise.
1687667115414.jpeg

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Great! Thanks for the suggestions. I voted for the lamb barbecue but the 2 vegetarian crew had other ideas.

• Ha

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I’ve heard it said “a ship runs smoothly on the stomachs of the crew. “ A wise Captain depends on the abilities of his supply officer and knowledge of the crew.
Maybe one year you and I can go ashore for the Lamb experience. I’ve been trying to visit during the event for 4 years now. Sounds like a great island tradition. The event is a fundraiser for the medical emergency needs of the island residents. 2024 is just around the corner.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Also, of the Ganges docking locations, the government dock is the least expensive. Of all the anchorages I've been in, Ganges is one of the worst. Not much for the anchor to dig into. Wind usually picks up in the afternoon blowing into the bay from the west at 20+. I'll normally stop to pick up a few things at the grocery store then head over to Annette, Inlet where you will find a very nice well protected anchorage with good holding.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I have heard from a local that there is anchorage in the inlet just NE of Ganges Harbor. You can get past Goat Island and the Moorage field using a dinghy to get to town. I’ve not anchored there, yet. The Inlet looks smaller and more protected that Ganges harbor.

1687744796404.png

Also keep an eye out for seaplane landings in the center of Ganges harbor.